Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re: Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!!

Hey Shamus how did you find it...great story with a fairy tale ending...
Does this mean you might sell me another bike, surely you need to thin the herd...
just sayin' is all

Re:

That's awesome. So glad to hear that the rust is superficial - those original photos made areas look pretty dodgy. I assume you are in the Lower Mainland - are you going to have Toxic Harald repaint it or are you going to send it back to the manufacturer?

Hey dirtorpedo,
looking in to my options at the moment. Definitely going to get the paint done locally. Toxic, DeKerf, etc...

Re:

shamobius":kfgw5cxv said:
Hey dirtorpedo,
looking in to my options at the moment. Definitely going to get the paint done locally. Toxic, DeKerf, etc...

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those options. My friend used Toxic Harald and is very happy with the job. I got to take that bike for a spin and it looks really nice.

Re:

Kudos to Harald. He painted my Romax frame, and I'm totally stoked with his work and attention to detail (frame prep, paint surface, detailing etc)

Amazing.

Absolutely lost for words reading this again from start to finish.

Can't wait to see it being returned to its former glory.

It's threads like these that make the site fantastic. Keep the updates coming!

Re:

Thanks everybody for the kind words! There hasn't been a lot going on lately, other than I have decided to have the frame, fork and handlebar painted by Toxic Labs (Harald Strasser of Brodie lore) in Vancouver. His services include paint stripping and rust repairs, so I have pretty much left the frame alone since removing all the parts. The hard part now lies in choosing the paint, and I have been all over the map in that department. My initial knee-jerk decision seemed obvious; re-paint to the original paint scheme, and build it up the way I last saw it on the day it was stolen twenty-six years ago. And that is probably still the 'right' thing to do. But having a chance to get it painted by Toxic, in any manner I choose, is in'Toxic'ating to say the least! I loved the colours I had the bike painted originally with the grey-blue frame and corresponding green fork and bar. The colours are classic and understated, and I really think they suit the subtle sophistication of the Team Comp. There is so much going on with the frame that isn't immediately obvious, but upon closer inspection the attention to small detail is very impressive.

The dusty metallic blue colour I picked was based on the colour of James Dean's infamous Porsche 550 Spyder, aka 'Little Bastard'. People say the car was cursed.

1451066716197265477 by shamalama88, on Flickr

But considering how Mr. Dean met his end, and my bike being stolen, I am starting to believe it wasn't the car that was cursed, its that paint colour!! So yeah maybe a little change would be good. Then the other night I had an epiphany. I was thinking about the blue frame w green fork issue, and part of me always thought that it made it look like I had replaced the original fork. Quirky, but a little confusing. Then I thought, geez I had picked blue and green for the frame, and a few years later Fat Chance chose arguably their most iconic paint scheme for their Yos, the aqua fade. So why not do a precursor to the aquafade in the metallic blue and green that I originally picked! Seemed like an awesome idea, until I started looking at more pics online of later Fats, and how popular the metallic fades became. Though I haven't seen any Fats with a blue to green fade.

Anyways, as of now, I have kind of come back to reality and am thinking of just doing the frame, fork and bar in a version of the original metallic grey-blue, but bluer, but not as blue as the Team Comp in the Marin Museum of Bicycling...

IMG_6479-2 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Back