SRAM compatible 8 speed shifter help.

grey-beard

Orange 🍊 Fan
I feel like this doesn't exist but is there such a thing as a not crap 8 speed trigger shifter that is compatible with old 1:1 SRAM esp rear mechs?
I was using gripshift, but I fancied a change on the P7.
I feel I may have to get a thumb shifter, but the only one I have doesn't seem capable of pulling enough cable for 8 gears.

The SRAM X4 shifters are the only ones I know of. They're cheap and might, or might not, be crap; I've never tried them. Otherwise, I think your options will be switching the rear mech to Shimano or, if you want to stick with SRAM, changing to 9 speed: more SRAM shifter options for 9 speed and higher up the hierarchy.

You might get lucky with a thumb shifter but if they were designed with Shimano's 1:2 pull in mind and you want to use it with a 1:1 rear mech, you're asking it to pull twice the length of cable it was designed for (roughly) and either it won't be capable of that, as you have already found with the one you have, or, if it can pull enough cable, you'll end up with the shift lever at some awkward angles.

The old X4 SRAM shifter worked well and were very durable, they looked like the X5/7/9 ones just with different paint schemes.

Hi greybeard,I have tried most of the sram shifters over the last few decades.If I were you I would upgrade to 9 speed,the X5 through X9 are pretty bombproof,they seem to wear less than shimano over the years in that they do not develop the same amount of “slop”
I do like xtr kit but I prefer sram shifters .Also the 9 speed stuff is abundant,whereas the 8 speed is not so common by quite a margin.
I have two X5s and a couple of X7shifters sitting in my garage due to stripping and selling a few bikes on this site,all in perfect working order ,
In fact I think I have a very good used X5 nine speed sram derailleur too
must put them on the classifieds.😉
Just my opinion
All the best

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, not an easy solution as I suspected.
The simple one is to stick with the grip shift that I have.
Secondly, I have a gx 7 speed shifter, but nothing else with it.
I think they were a really weird downhill only 7 speed kit, which has the cog spacing of 11 speed? Is that right?
I use GX 10 speed on 2 other bikes and that seems bombproof. I just wanted a change on this bike but without buying everything.

Thanks for the advice guys, not an easy solution as I suspected.
The simple one is to stick with the grip shift that I have.
Secondly, I have a gx 7 speed shifter, but nothing else with it.
I think they were a really weird downhill only 7 speed kit, which has the cog spacing of 11 speed? Is that right?
I use GX 10 speed on 2 other bikes and that seems bombproof. I just wanted a change on this bike but without buying everything.
I totally understand, i went through a similar dilemma and it got to a point where it just wasn't worth the time and energy that was required to source old stuff which was invariably half worn out. All the bike shops sell 9 speed and will for a long time to come, I would bite the bullet and ditch the gripshift. It's going to fail at some point greybeard then it's back to square one.
Good luck whatever you do

Back