Specialized Shark Fin re-manufacture ?

Re:

x6mm95.jpg

Not from the end but does this help?

Yes.
It's looking unlikely to be cost effective.
Something with a rod to attach to the canti stud with rod end bearing like Hope's system may be better.

The thing with these is, i personally would want a fin (or 99% replica) simply because its the original part and its missing from my bike, but if they turn out something that just looks homemade, then i would rather stick with the Onza adapter i already have on it (and have done with no issues for a long time now)

The Onza adapter is a great solution and was cheap (at least when i bought mine a long time ago).

I've got a sharkfin on the Stumpy I just bought though hoping to swap to a BETD rear end if I can get hold of one. Anyone know if they still make them?

I think that there is scope for a new type / style of adapter perhaps based on these but designed to make them suit a wider range of bikes. I must admit that before I sold mine, I tried it on a number of different frames since the majority of alternative adapters look naff!

Rampage it would be useful to learn which part of the Sharkfin design is the bit which makes manufacture difficult / not cost effective?

It seems to me that a variation on the original hope design which does not use a special axle would be ideal. The common element in the majority of axles / hubs is the fact that there is a 9mm axle over which there is a variety of spacers to provide the correct 135 or 130 mm spacing. Surely the approach would be a hope type fitting which is centred / borne on an appropriate carrier withsuitable bearings. Lateral location could be provided by drilling an appropriate hole in the drop outs with scope for adjustable spacing. An adjustable torsion bar to the v brake mount would complete the picture. Slotted holes to the actual caliper adapter would allow for adjustment for different frames.

isitafox":217s2dnl said:
I've got a sharkfin on the Stumpy I just bought though hoping to swap to a BETD rear end if I can get hold of one. Anyone know if they still make them?
Never hesitate to give the gents at BETD a bell if you can't find something on their website. They're always happy to have a chat to help you out. That being said I think the chances of getting a rear end is almost zero though they certainly still make linkages.

Yeah I emailed them and they said there was no chance, guess I'll have to hold out for one coming up for sale or an Enduro on the cheap!

Back