Specialized serial numbers

I don't think the frame numbers tell you much.
First two digits for build year, followed by a letter for month of build, then a four digit production number, at least that looks like the format on my two Stumpjumpers. My guess anyway.

I don't think the frame numbers tell you much.
First two digits for build year, followed by a letter for month of build, then a four digit production number, at least that looks like the format on my two Stumpjumpers. My guess anyway.
Mine isn't even in that format, it's 2 letters and 6 digits - XX999999.

it's possible that it's not even a Spesh as it's been repainted.

It does feel light however, and came with some XT and pace forks attached, although those could be red herrings. Tentatively dated as a 1991, sold as a Rockhopper, but suggested to be a Stumpy.

spesh1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I had a 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Team and the frame number on that was all two digits, one letter, then four digits.

Yours does seem to resemble a '90 Rockhopper Sport at first glance though 🤔

Hmmm...

I had a 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Team and the frame number on that was all two digits, one letter, then four digits.

Yours does seem to resemble a '90 Rockhopper Sport at first glance though 🤔

Maybe a 91 Hard Rock, or 92 Stumpy.

Edit
After an afternoon of investigating I can announce that it's a 92 hard rock.

It's the only bike from that era with that paint/decal combo, but what confirmed it was the rear dropout.

I'm going to build it up for a mate, the forks are staying with me as are some of the other bits, I have some P2's with the right size steerer plus a nice group to get it running nice.

Last edited:
Back