Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
SOLD

1983/84 Ritchey Team Comp

Serial number: OC48
Size: 20"
Color: classic red
Frame, fork, and bar stem combo are all handmade and fillet brazed by Tom Ritchey
Portage strap and custom option for mounts for it
Double down tube water bottle mounts
Canti brake posts
Specialized headset included

Up for your perusal is this gorgeous Ritchey Team Comp frameset. It was ordered by the original owner in 1983 and delivered in early 1984. The bike was rebuilt with modern components in the mid-1990s. I bought it with the intent to get it back to 1983/4 spec, but I think I would be better suited by the 21" size (I am 6'1"). I am open to trades, if anyone here has a 21" Ritchey.

Condition
Really fabulous, actually. The red is still really red and very glossy. There are faint signs of use and a vague sense of patina, with some small scratches and nicks here and there, but overall this frameset is in really fantastic condition. Check the pics! The biggest flaw of note would be a series of thin abrasions in the clear coat on the tops of the top tube due to rubbing from the rear brake cable. With a wax a polish they wouldn't even be visible. There is residual grip/glue black stuff under the grip area of the bars and some fine scratches that aren't visible with the grips/components installed.

The original owner removed all the decals when one of them was scratched, but Velocals offers great reproductions.

The frame is straight and true. Takes a 68mm BB, 26.8mm seatpost. 135mm rear but could be set to 130mm if you liked. The headset is in great shape, not notchy--spins perfectly.

The bar stem combo is absolutely gorgeous and a rare find. This is the higher rise version, and hasn't been cut down. Nice and wide with lots of sweep!

Included is the 1984 Ritchey catalogue AND the original sale receipt.

Shipping is additional and at actual cost, with the carrier chosen by the buyer. Packing is free and will be done very conscientiously. Insurance is optional, but if you don't opt for it, I'm not liable (that said, I've shipped several bikes and lots of parts outside the US and never lost anything…except to Brazil. Don't remind of Brazil)

PRICE: 1099 GBP

PICS!

IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

I mean, holy hell, I am drooling just looking at this:
IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5970.jpg

For what its worth, I'd love it but obviously even if I sold as much as I could bare to part with, it would still not be enough.

^^^What he said

Hubba :cool:

Just for your amusement; the 18" has a half inch shorter top tube than my very modern hardtail, but otherwise absolutely identical angles/dimensions! :LOL:

Thanks for the replies. Rare and beautiful in stellar condition....a bargain in some respects, but certainly a heavy hitter in others. At the very least, I am glad to provide a lot of pics for everyone to enjoy gratis :)

One nice thing about this frameset is the Twinstrut bar stem combo isn't the 'racer' version but the high-rise version--harder to find and easier to fit a range of people.

yo-Nate-y":1847rpmm said:
Thanks for the replies. Rare and beautiful in stellar condition....a bargain in some respects, but certainly a heavy hitter in others. At the very least, I am glad to provide a lot of pics for everyone to enjoy gratis :)

One nice thing about this frameset is the Twinstrut bar stem combo isn't the 'racer' version but the high-rise version--harder to find and easier to fit a range of people.

Thats it, rub it in why dont you...

<wanders off in a sulk muttering>

Back