single speed - damage to freehub ?

Re:

seems that is always easier to do up than remove as not using a chain whip to stop freehub rotating so you have an extra hand to steady/guide/hold tool in position etc etc having just wrestled with another than would'nt undo and yet I'd swear when it went on it was not that tight. do we never learn viewtopic.php?f=1&t=414909&p=3048509&hilit=whip#p3048509

on the other subject :) I always thought Hills Road was very misleading unless heading south east it was to the Gog Magog Hills, no idea but great name even if the hills bit is overegging the pudding a little. The yorkshire side of the family would be very unimpressed.

daugs - well we're off to Thetford today hills but some slight inclines in the single track....

..and a friend taught me the strength of hand muscles in undoing the cassette locking. Interestingly - and difficult to describe in words but easy with a picture - you can get MUCH more leverage by having the spanner and chain whip almost aligned and lying against each other, but far enough apart in order to get both hands around both and NOT PULL WITH ARMS but PULL them TOGETHER by closing your fists. You can get an amazing amount of force into the nut by doing this. Works in other applications like BB square taper too.

And for some reason my arms seem to have become the same as Homer Simpson's....

oh...and look, I've drawn the chain whip the wrapping the wrong way on the cassette...twit

Attachments

• F9DC6CE9-BE96-4DE3-8E6F-B44A5D17DB3B.jpeg
    F9DC6CE9-BE96-4DE3-8E6F-B44A5D17DB3B.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 92
Re:

thanks, good tip and yes, I have come to the conclusion that my tool/socket is........ (wasn't there an old saying about workman and tools). I'm better off doing exactly what you describe with a spanner on the tool not a socket wrench to get them closer together and able to get the hands round. Its the same technique as locking two nuts together on a stud on say an engine cylinder block when trying to remove the stud. Even better if can squeeze with one hand and steadying the tool in the other if twists like mine seems to like doing.

Back