Show us your early-not-quite-retro Santa Cruz's

Anyone who wanted the pics of the decals - please email me (not PM) at my address in profile and I will pass them on.

Here's my early Heckler, 98 frame 99 swing arm with disc mounts. Had orange Z1 BAM's on it till about a month ago but wanted bit more travel and that ETA thing is great!

Heckler.jpg

Yeah, I know, bar ends on risers, but they are stubby and I don't care! Although I fancy some of those Salsa Moto flat bars with 17 degree bend?

Great bike, my favourite for off-road, surely these must be retro now at 10 years old, but they still look modern, I guess?

Wanted to get a Chameleon in the same colour like yours Max P to match this one.

:)

Russell":26i4uvdg said:
Max P":26i4uvdg said:
I finally got a disc mount and disc brake for it recently but the whole thing looked so shonky and heavy I went back to the XTR V. As above it comes in around 22.75lbs.

Oooh, I don't suppose you still have the disc mount and want to shift it in my direction do you? :)

russell.i've got a mate with one of those disc mount thingies,don't think he wants it anymore,i'll have a word with him if you like? ;)

I have also posted pictures of my Heckler in the readers bikes section, but this is the most recent evolution. It's a 1997-98? large frame with disc tabs . It's original trans red powder coat has been changed to a solid red some two years ago as part of a major overhaul.

The build has seen a number of twists and turns, but with the arrival of 29er in the stable it's moved away from XC to an all-round trail bike. If I could have just one bike for all occasions it would be something very much like this. And the latest twist is the addition of a Rohloff Speedhub drivetrain.

You can see some of my (improvised) handywork at the business end, the speedbone fitting does not clear the elevated stay. But it works just fine like this and the proper parts on order. Also the seat stay bridge is a home made for that extra bit of tire clearance. The cable routing turned out very neat through the swingarm, but if anyone knows an alternative to the tie-wraps don't be shyand chime in.

Enjoy!!

rohler4.JPG

sunset colours
rohler3.JPG

less clutter at the bars
rohler2.JPG

and the business end

If I do anything to it from here I'll transplant the Rohloff to another bike and return the heckler to a retro spec: V-brakes, RC-36, USE post etc.

Serge bike junky":35ciuiv8 said:
Russell":35ciuiv8 said:
Max P":35ciuiv8 said:
I finally got a disc mount and disc brake for it recently but the whole thing looked so shonky and heavy I went back to the XTR V. As above it comes in around 22.75lbs.

Oooh, I don't suppose you still have the disc mount and want to shift it in my direction do you? :)

russell.i've got a mate with one of those disc mount thingies,don't think he wants it anymore,i'll have a word with him if you like? ;)

Oooh, yes please. It must be compatible with a '98 frame :)

You will need to adjust the frame to make it fit - basically file 20mm off the LH drop-out. You are supposed to drill a mounting hole too but I don't think it is really necessary.

I can post pics and the instruction leaflet if needed?

Here is the leaflet. The bracket is a tight fit and once the axle is bolted on I don't think drilling the hole is necessary.

Take care with the Dremel and hand tools - I took a morning to do mine - remember you can't put back what you take off...

I'll try and put some pics of my drop out up tomorrow.

Below is a stock pic of one fitted - you can see the problems. It's bulky as hell and weighs a ton, the disc caliper hangs upside down in an odd postion, you have a dirty great loop of cable out the back. I would think twice before fitting one again. An XTR V does a great job.

;)

chamloop.jpg

Cham-pre2000-disc.jpg

Oooh, not pretty is it! If you're running it geared, doesn't the rear entry only dropout on the left side make wheel removal/replacement more tricky? Especially with a disc to get in aswell.

Back