Show us what you did today, thread

Bosch battery is £700, charger £170 and even the last gen motor is £700. That’s over £1500 in those parts alone.
Anyway, nothing you buy is just the total of parts cost. You also need to recoup r&d cost. The modern MTB is pretty well evolved. There’s maybe minor alterations but the basic designs last a few years at least. Ebikes are evolving and changing every year and this costs money.
Look at the early days of MTB suspension. The original Rock Shox cost £300. Compare them to what you can buy for £300 now.

clubby":1i1chgnf said:
Bosch battery is £700, charger £170 and even the last gen motor is £700. That’s over £1500 in those parts alone.
Anyway, nothing you buy is just the total of parts cost. You also need to recoup r&d cost. The modern MTB is pretty well evolved. There’s maybe minor alterations but the basic designs last a few years at least. Ebikes are evolving and changing every year and this costs money.
Look at the early days of MTB suspension. The original Rock Shox cost £300. Compare them to what you can buy for £300 now.

With me clubby its bang for buck, and its that way due to being unemployed, so everything I buy is thought out left, right up down, sideways :LOL: and always try to find the best for the cheapest, even if its got a couple of niggles or missing something you can replace
eg -
New obviously.I got a set of OX 2x10 shifters that retail at 200, I paid 60, or the xo rear mech again retails at about 200, I paid again 60, or 63. My favourite buffalo shirt cycling edition, retails at 180, I paid 70, and so on and so forth.

So compare the two bikes im looking at, and probably in the new year opt for the Focus. The scott has a suntour fork(or a basic recon)- nobody here's going to be content looking at that in their bike room(You all have bike rooms dont you ? :LOL: )when for the same outlay it could be a fox 34, or an X-fusion shock, compared to a FOX Float DPS as also on the Focus Thron 6.9. Then theres the mostly XT kit on the focus, compared to an xt rear mech and thats all she wrote there on the Scott.
DT Swiss wheelset on the focus, and a dropper too. On the Scott review a few said the lack of the dropper on the scott was one of the bikes cons.

The geometry is much the same, and the Focus company site does list the Thron as more the sit up and beg comfort rider position, and also lists trekking, commuting and mountainbiking etc as its projected usage.
Far more ride reviews on the focus than the scott.
Motor/batteries are the same, so nothing to compare there, though the thron is 85nm to the scotts 75nm.

Plus the focus looks the business and the scott is styled on something your grandad would consider. its 2kg lighter too.
See -

Or

Attachments

• 66472_fo3040013v2020_2020_29_di_mineralgreen_090_pro_thron2-6-9 (Custom).png
    66472_fo3040013v2020_2020_29_di_mineralgreen_090_pro_thron2-6-9 (Custom).png
    116.6 KB · Views: 335
  • 274850 (Custom).png
    274850 (Custom).png
    145 KB · Views: 335
Re:

But being an old guy and a tourer I see it doesn’t come with the rack and doesn’t have any mounting points. ;)
Just saying is all.
But seriously it does look the better equipped.

Jamie

I did notice that Jamie, but I see the thron 6.8 does, so a rack is available and im more than sure I could retrofit something. Even make it, or even a post mounted. Its really to make it easy for me to do my daily shop, as im not buying shopping for a week or two, rather a day or two.

Fu**ing glue the fu**ing thing on if I have to :LOL:

Re:

If riding off road for fun, thrills and adventure is your bag then the 2 ebikes shown make sense to me. If getting the weekly shop in on 2 wheels requires power I'd go motorbike. Admittedly you can't, or at least should not keep your motorbike in your flat. However motorbike plus insurance, road tax, mot and training/licence combined can be had for less than one of those ebikes. I understand your arguments Dyna but you don't strike me as a serious offroader. Those bikes are overkill on tarmac and unless your riding down a serious flight of steps a high spec fork seems overkill too. I think you can be a canny'r scot than those choices.
Not doing you down though, it's your hard saved moolah, what you spend it on is your choice ;)

Apology if offended anyone. Not my intention, maybe just being in isolation since march has thrown up all the bad things from the past and feel my current situation is my own success, as such I am perceiving good advice as sharp criticism. Sorry V. I know you're a great bloke

Sorry :oops:

You are right, I dont know others history, and currently im ia bitt depressed and thinking, hoing a new bike will help but I keep gettting negatives back, which arent seemingly based on my expectations of what constitutes a good bike.

Really unwell currently. Got the tests to go, but I think this is serious. Its either the heart or lung cancer and im blotting it all out and trying to find something to get behind. Im not taking a pop at anyone, just feel theres more to me than i usually let on. I can understand your feelings on this.
My history is really bad.

Mate, we all have a history but we are all here together. None of us were born at 30 with a shed full of shitty old bikes :)
I'm not having a pop or being negative, I actually think it's great your getting an e bike. I don't think the banters negative for you I just think people are giving you their opinions and your answering of what suites you.
It's for you and that's the only person who needs to be happy with it.
Sorry your not well mate, that's never good to hear and fingers crossed as well as everything else that your tests come back fine.
Stay safe, look after yourself and let us know if you did need anything. No one in the macretro clan wants you to deal with that sort of stuff on your own.

Jamie

Nowt to apologise for and frankly I cannot see anything you've typed that's offensive. I know we've fallen out before but I now know I'm a grumpy depressive barsteward at times, it's official, my psychiatrist will back me up on this. You are in poor health and that always messes with one's mood. But as our Jamie, Mr Reasonableness himself, says we're here for you at the click of a mouse. Plus as I'm similar in stature to you, I bagsy a go of your leccy bike if you get it :)

Latest posts

Back