Show us what you did today, thread

Another cracking day here and with Sharron out for cake and coffee, I'd the luxury of a free morning.
Had planned another gravel ride, this time up in the Brechin area. Been passing the path network signs for years but always on the way to somewhere else.
Things started well with some nice farm tracks then up through the golf course into a lovely section of woods.

Brechin ride by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Would be even better the other way, as it was gently uphill for me the way I was heading.

Then things went a little bit Epicyclo.
Farm tracks which weren't on the map but did exist, and ones which were on the map but didn't exist.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Earlier height gain was rewarded with a lovely, swoopy singletrack descent down through the trees finishing up at the river. Fantastic fun, but a couple of cheeky sections testing my 40c tyres and meagre abilities to the limit.

After that it was back to the car along the riverside path, with just the bluebells for company.

All in all just 17.5 miles, but scope to connect into trails near Forfar for a two town ride.

Looks some really nice trails Clubby, also looks nice singletrack under the trees. Looks nice and cool in there as well.
Loving your bike as well, it always looks like it doesn't just go anywhere, but goes there fast :)

Jamie

Re:

Discovered these gloves are pretty handy (!!!!) on a bike. Went out for an hour or so this evening and couldn't find my hi vis jerkin (as I haven't worn it for so bleedin long) but saw these sitting on the kitchen worktop :D

Nice airflow through the mesh back and nice grippy shudder absorbing rubber on palms and fingers. Currently 99p in Home Bargains. Also available in red :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 358
Re:

Took the afternoon off work today to do one of the support races for the OVO Energy Tour Series race that was happening in Aberdeen this evening.
A friend needed an extra person (ringer :LOL:) for the "Corporate" race, basically various local companies fielded a 4-person team, each person doing 2 Laps of the 1.3km city centre street circuit in a relay style race.
A real mix of teams, bikes, and abilities from the looks of it, some all decked out in company sponsored kit riding carbon race bikes, others on retro road bikes and various commuter bikes.
I was the lead-out man for our team and I somehow was in 5th place at the end of lap 1 :shock: , and then promptly went backwards as I paid for that fast lap :LOL: I was faster than most around the cobbled Street corners but lost out on the long straights.
No idea how our team placed :LOL: but it was good fun racing round the city centre on closed roads, and I have nothing but respect for the pros after seeing how fast they went around the course this evening.

Attachments

• DSC_0455-489x367.JPG
    DSC_0455-489x367.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC_0459-897x506.JPG
    DSC_0459-897x506.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 325
  • FB_IMG_1558017276196.jpg
    FB_IMG_1558017276196.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 325
The best kind of cycling. A gentle meander into town, then stand with a coffee and cake and watch other people put in the effort :cool:

Re:

I can't exactly show myself eating my words, but having said this last year about my 1950s roadster's ailing hub:

ajm":2g3qwgk3 said:
Not sure what to do now - by taking it apart and upsetting it I might even make it worse than it is and there's no chance of getting unworn spare parts.

I got this in the post today :D

sturmey-sw-service_pack-s.jpg

Containing these, described on Sheldon Brown's website as rarer than hen's teeth...
sturmey-sw-pawls-s.jpg

The spares kit isn't complete but does have a significant number of useful parts, all nicely labelled in their original packets. Considering the hub was only briefly manufactured in the 1950s the chances of obtaining any NOS spares were going to be vanishingly slim... I think though I may be developing a worrying taste for collecting prehistoric Sturmey Archer NOS spares (note the even more ancient brake shoes alongside!)

Back