Show us what you did today, thread

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Finalised the build on my parts bin gravel bike for the Clubby ride.

Stripped yesterday's build back to the frame and forks, and changed just about every component on it. Cranks, BB, wheels, tyres, brakes, bars etc.

Dingle-speeded it in case a 64" gear was too high for Clubby's ride, now I have the option of 51" (42/19 and 39/22, so chain length identical for both, and so no need for adjustments when swapping over).

Also added little details. It now has a bit from almost all my old race bikes, so it's a memory soup build. :)

Not that there was anything wrong with the first build, it felt like a weapon.

But now it's been sharpened.

(Bar tape to follow once I find some heat shrink for the tape ends)

Re:

Looks ideal ......... except for the lack of gears.
Then again I wouldn’t expect anything else from you. Brave man taking on 50 miles on a dingle speed.

Re: Re:

clubby":23zev04z said:
. Brave man taking on 50 miles on a dingle speed.

50 miles?!! :shock: did I miss that somehow?

My "training" so far has consisted of eating Easter eggs, washed down with Lidls lager :LOL:

Brian, that bike does look ideal, I'm guessing your spare parts bin is akin to the stock room of most bicycle shops :LOL: ;)

jimo746":2r46k5a5 said:
clubby":2r46k5a5 said:

My "training" so far has consisted of eating Easter eggs, washed down with Lidls lager :LOL:

Brian, that bike does look ideal, I'm guessing your spare parts bin is akin to the stock room of most bicycle shops :LOL: ;)
Ditto

jimo746":19q9x23d said:
...I'm guessing your spare parts bin is akin to the stock room of most bicycle shops :LOL: ;)
It's more I buy stuff because I like it, and if I stop using it for some reason, I just put it away rather than getting rid off it - because I still like it.

For example, that Joe Murray Bokor 26er frame felt perfect, but then at a race in 2006 I was getting smoked on the rooty stuff by the lads on the Singular 29ers, so I got one of those and the Bokor became an attic dweller for the next 13 years.

It's when you start considering the N+1 shed, you realise that maybe you have a problem, and it's time for a cull.

And of course, first you need to check whether you still like something or not, so bikes magically happen out of random bits.

But then, there is probably an essential part missing, so it's time to go to the bike shop... NO NO NO stop there. :)

RobMac":26fqddz4 said:
jimo746":26fqddz4 said:
clubby":26fqddz4 said:

Ditto

Yes you did ladies. Top post on this page.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=396804&start=10

Ok so I did say 47 but have found some extra stuff. :LOL:
Got to make it worth the Aussie’s drive.
Anyway, there’s only one real climb and it’s not steep, just a bit of a drag. Don’t be too worried by the fact it’s known locally as the “Col du Glamis”.

Hello macretro clan
Hopefully everyone has had a decent bank holiday weekend, I also hope the weather was a bit better with the rest of you than what it was up here.
I technically had today off but went and worked/ or sounded out work with someone else, maybe time for a change, anyways I was home for about 1.30.
The weekend up here seen me pottering about with several projects but no real riding, we have had snow, hail, sleet along with gale force winds since Thursday. Today was better especially this afternoon as the wind had dropped and the sun was out between hail and rain showers but did finally manage to get out for a while on the Jack Taylor. I had planned on swapping the bars out for the new Nitto B136 randonneurs along with the new 80mm stem. I was also going to take away the Dura Ace aero levers and put on some Mavic 419s I have. I have the three sets of levers and have earmarked the black hooded ones for a very distinct build but the other two are for the Taylor and the Mercian tourer. I just couldn't make up my mind which ones for which. The solid bladed set with the Dia Comp hoods are for the Mercian and the other drilled 419 pair are for the Jack Taylor I have decided. Earlier in the week I polished the two drilled pair and also washed the hoods as they were a bit manky from sitting around. Came up nicely. Just pottering really but after riding the Taylor this afternoon confirmed the decision about the bars and the shorter stem on the Jack Taylor. Fitted some bits up to the Mercian as well but this is really just to get it rolling while the other one is finished off. It will be a real parts mock up and then if it works then it may get built properly over time but the other King of Mercia is first.
Anyway a nice ride and then just playing outside with bike parts between playing with Caleb and the dog.
A nice weekend.

Jamie

Straight roads both directions
IMG_0878 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0883 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Chasing the rainbow ………..
IMG_0887 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0888 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Sunset from the other evening
IMG_0859 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Can you tell what they are yet...…….
IMG_0847 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr