Show us what you did today, thread

Would be great to say hello.

Really looking forward to it, with the exception of 80+ miles of the A82 to Balachullish after a night at home. Hopefully I'll make it unscathed.

I've always wanted to ride Rannoch Moor and Glencoe, so this seemed like the time to do it.

I used to live at Barcaldine near to Oban and ride the Balachullish Glencoe road all the time but from the south, certainly don't envy you the run from there to Fort William. Reminded me of being back home where it's a sport to go as close as you can to the cyclist. Usually just turned off at the Corran Ferry and went the long way round :)

Jamie

This one is a couple from Show us what you did yesterday :)
A couple of pics from our afternoon out which was down to a friends for lunch and for all the kids to gather and have an Easter egg hunt in Calebs school. Then we went for a ride with about 7 or so of the kids down to Ham harbour. Some kids rode and with one on a tag along. Caleb was riding his bike so I took one of the kids that didn't have his bike and even rode back up the road and picked up Heather and our friend Lisa, so that was three of us on the BD. First time I ever thought the front end was light on the Dummy :)
Caleb decided yesterday that he would ride to our friends rather than go on the Dummy, I gave him the option a few times to hook his bike on the back and jump on but he declined. Then on the way home he wanted to ride, the big hill to the house as well. Quite proud as he stubbornly made it to the top after a long ride, 16'' wheels and singlespeed to boot. He is due for a bike upgrade to 20'' wheels and gears quite soon but I am thinking the Dummy may no longer be needed for human cargo.

DSC_1830 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1846 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1849 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1850 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Another Show us what you did yesterday from me cos today was spent cutting firewood. Yesterday was a wee exploration of south end of Rassay including a bimble out the track to Hallaig, the clearance village made famous by Sorley Maclean http://www.oatridge.co.uk/poems/s/sorle ... allaig.php.

Missed our intended ferry off Raasay and we had to do a Lewis Hamilton job from Sconser to Armadale in a 22 year old Hilux that handles like a hippo on rollerskates to get the last boat back to Mallaig. Full marks to Calmac cos we called them and they held the last ferry for 5 minutes so as not to strand us.

A grand day out.

Attachments

• WP_20180331_15_55_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180331_15_55_35_Pro.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 584
  • WP_20180331_15_25_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180331_15_25_27_Pro.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 584
  • WP_20180331_14_58_37_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180331_14_58_37_Pro.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 584
  • WP_20180331_14_56_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180331_14_56_26_Pro.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 584
Brilliant photos and write up. Sounds like a close call and a bit of extra adventure :)
Looks like you had it good with the weather as well.

Jamie

jackosbournesnr":uzbgku2e said:
Lovely bike.

I'm up your way next month, Jamie.

Finishing my End to End at Dunnet Head on the 26th of May.
If you run into problems near Dingwall, give me a shout. Or if needing coffee.... :)

PM me for phone no.

I posted up the photos from Easter Saturdays ride with Caleb for the Easter egg hunt and trip to the shore but the long weekend continued with a couple of more rides.
Sunday after getting some stuff done in the morning then watching the tour of Flanders I headed out on the Merckx for a while, nice evening but again just beat the rain back. Good to be back out on the Merckx and getting a few quicker miles in.

7 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Snow coming in from Hoy
12 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

8 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Then on Monday around lunch I headed south to meet up with Brian and have a ride out around the Beauly Forth. Glorious sunshine when I left but about an hour or so down the road it was a solid wall of grey with it snowing to the west. the hills were getting covered the closer I got to Brians. We quickly loaded and decided to start around Redcastle area as everywhere else was whitening up and thought we would ride into Ness. We pushed on into the mother of all headwinds, and after a quick stop at a bakery to have a sandwich and a coffee we decided on a ride back the way we came but at a much faster pace due to the freezing rain coming down. Still we got a ride in, albeit a shortish one. This time I was on the Mercian and Brian was on his Bertin, so even the rain couldn't spoil a ride on these.

Unfortunately it wasn't as nice on the other side of the mountains :)
29871739_1466925036769569_1634486010518028847_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

29744970_1466925173436222_3287398486648933557_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Nearly to Ness
29664983_1466925296769543_4748017482679039457_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

29664959_1466925393436200_4661197581199723852_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

So not a bad weekend, 3 different rides out on three different machines, time spent with family and with friends, this topped off with a Quick Step win in Flanders. Roll on spring now ;)

Jamie

Re:

Took the Inbred out for an exploration of some local trails, have recently changed the drop bars to risers, the rigid forks to suspension, and gone from 1x1 to 1x10.

No idea what's behind the fence though... :shock:

Attachments

• 20180407_163127-532x691.jpg
    20180407_163127-532x691.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 433
A weekend at home spending time with the family but still managed to get a couple of rides in.
Saturday after lunch Caleb and I put in some miles in the sunny but quite cold wind on the Big Dummy. We managed to avoid the haar that had been hanging around most of the day just off the coast and in some of the low lying areas. T shirt weather in the sun but Helle Hanson and jacket out of it. A good couple of hours out with my wingman.

1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Long straight section of road to be pushing into a headwind with 40 kilo of bike and cargo :)
2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

5 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Another straight section with it starting to cool down
4 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Today after lunch and getting other things sorted, that you just have to sort I managed to get out and put a few hours in on the Trucker, just riding for the sake of riding. My Trucker never fails to put a smile on my face, really love riding it anywhere. I should have been down with Brian and another group on the Great Glen Way but unfortunately at the time Heather and I had some stuff to get done. In the end it worked out well as I got stuff sorted had a ride, met up with Heather and Caleb mid ride for a coffee and scone out at John O'Groats and still got back around 5.30 which left enough time to put Calebs trampoline back up after winter and sort a few bike parts for sale. My ride out took me along an inland sort of zigzagging route with some gravel tracks thrown in and one of these was about a mile of straight section in the middle just like a few of these tar ones near me that have miles of straights on them. No imagination :)
Was speaking to a couple of guys at Groats that had just ended their Lands End - John O'Groats ride with one them being on a Long Haul Trucker as well. After chatting for a while and complimenting each other for our clearly good taste I had to start heading home as by now the haar had come ashore and it was really thick as well as cold. Luckily I was no longer heading into the wind so had a slight tail wind for most of the run home. Must be a good weekend ;)
Hope everyone else managed to have a good weekend whether riding or not.

Jamie

11 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Behind Stroma you can normally see Hoy and Orkney as they are quite close, not today.
22 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Miles of nothing but wind ...(the natural kind, not mine)
33 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Decisions, decisions, National Cycle Route 1 and North Sea Cycle route.
44 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back