Show us what you did today, thread

Yup, you need more weight forward over the front wheel. Short stem works with long top tube but shorter old style top tube needs longer stem for us giants on a bike thats a bit too small for us. Your arms will not be far enough forward of your shoulders with that set up and so you'll feel less under control almost as if your about to go over the bars in feel. Personally I'd just accept your too big for the bike and move on otherwise its back to a long stem and accepting slightly flawed handling. Hope this helps.

Jamiedyer":3p5sxniq said:

Nice :)

Rode a similar route yesterday :

Capture by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

Like you, had a nonsensical headwind, and blazing sunshine :)

Thurso to Hemsdale by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

We were quite impressed with the RSPB tower-thingy, and boardwalk... From the look of the signs the locals weren't so keen though :LOL:

Had a wee climb up to the ruined Broch at Strath Halladale too :

On a side-note, how did you find the drivers? We had a couple of run-ins with some proper nutters, tanking past us at full-chat, nearly putting themselves in the ditch on two occasions, and then reckoning it was our fault :x One of 'em threw up so much gravel and stoor that Antoinette was left bleeding from it :shock: I know folk tend to hare about on the local roads, but yesterday was something else :?

Hi mate
Glad you had a good ride and the weather was good, certainly far better than attempting it today, it's pretty bleak up here.
The drivers we came across were the usual mix, some good, some bad but certainly nothing dangerous like you.
A lot of the problem is now the North West 500, the influx is 10 fold at least, yet the roads have no new infrastructure or upgrading and for some car and motorbike clubs it's promoted as a race track and best times are often posted. This makes it pretty dangerous for cyclist along with everyone else, especially as the vast majority can't drive on a singletrack road as they have no concept of pulling in for anyone or anything. They pass cyclist incredibly close and at high speed and even the ones I have 'spoke with' have just used the age old argument that your fair game as you shouldn't be on the road, how do you try to change that way of thinking? Crazy!
Now the road from Melvich through the Strath and down to Helmsdale is not part of the NW500 it is used and always has been as a shortcut for those on this side of Tongue, so Betty Hill etc, but only saves time if you are really stonking it, most locals are pretty decent up here, of course there is the odd few, but on the whole it is generally better than a lot of other places. Nothing is policed from Thurso or Dounray through to Scourie on the west coast and everyone knows it, so sometimes it can get a bit scary.
Brian and I went past a guy cycling a handcycle near Strathy beach he was so low to the ground and quite dark that I really felt worried for the guy, stupid as he has probably done a million miles but it just made me worry for him as you could see how easily a driver not paying attention could come up on him so quick.
Anyway, it does look like, despite the arsehats, that it was a good ride out, it is nice scenery and easy rolling country. If you ever fancy a run up the other way, south to north or a different ride up this way just give me a shout if you want some company.
I am also putting together a sort of casual road ride/randonnuer campout type weekend down your way, or closer than this, in late July. Plan is a ride to somewhere maybe towards the west coast somewhere from Contin or such, camp then return on different route, trying to stick to back routes, singletrack roads and a bit of easy gravel roads if possible.
If your interested or have a favourite camp spot somewhere let me know. Looking leaving mid morning Sat and return around 2pm Sunday so everyone else can get there and get home.

Jamie

Re:

Mid afternoon I was out on the 27.5+ and spotted Mrs Goosander and the bairns.

Then late afternoon I went out on the 700c tourer which is the first time this year, boy does it roll easy after riding 27.5+ all year :facepalm:

Re:

Final day riding in Ibiza :(

Bike all packed and ready for transfer to airport.
Got a Jeep drop off today then climbed to top of hill near the coast for a point to point ride finishing with a 30 minute (mainly) downhill run into a wee deserted fishing cove. Jeep waiting for us at the water thankfully, as the road out took over 15 minutes in the car.

https://instagram.com/p/BVAGpFlgKSJ/

Re: Re:

Retro_Roy":qqads7f0 said:
Not bike related. Car show season is upon us.
My 67 elky.

Very nice. There is a Macretro motors thread somewhere, a page or two back maybe. Let us know a bit more, plenty of petrolheads round these parts.

Back