Show us what you did today, thread

Out late this afternoon with the little man for a few hours on the Big Dummy.
He wanted to see a few of the harbours and then wanted to have his snacks up at the lookout at Dunnet Head.
Was a nice day and the wind dropped off by the afternoon, so we slowly wound away along, stopping here and there as is the way on these rides out. We sat at the lookout as the clouds built and came in from the north west and with them the temperature dropped a good few degree as well. Had to shift on the way back as Caleb had a fundraising party to get to and as is my way, time had slipped by. It was also getting quite cool and I had to give him my jacket to put over his as he was starting to cool. It is hard to notice all the time on this as I have to work quite hard so I end up hot and don't realise he is sitting there cooling down in the wind.
A good ride was had by both of us, and depends on a few things but will hopefully get down to the retro/vintage road ride in Inverness tomorrow.

Jamie

Leaving home and heading for the highest point on the headland to the left (just above the house)
DSCN3662 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3669 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3666 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

the road goes on
DSCN3671 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looking west
DSCN3679 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

looking across to Hoy
DSCN3686 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

the heavy beast ;)
DSCN3691 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

looking back towards home
DSCN3692 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Sun getting lower to the west
DSCN3694 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looks like he's about to do the robot or moonwalk :)
DSCN3683 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Always nice to see my home turf! We used to play Colditz to the search of the lighthouse when we stayed at the house by the cliff. The fields beneath were full of our sheep back in the eighties, as they qualified us for a hill farming relief subsidy.

Many happy memories, and great to see some more being created!

Thanks mate, we ride these roads often :)
Was supposed to be joining Brian, (epicycle) down in Inverness for another groups retro road ride on the Mercian but with so many things happening and start of school holidays I was needed at home. After sorting Caleb, myself, animals etc and also watching the start of Roubaix, it was time for a quick ride on the Merckx before the riders hit the first section of pave. With Heather having a lie in and feeling better, she was going to take Caleb down to his school so he could have a ride on his bike while I got an hour or two out on mine. The forecast was for rain at about 1pm and I was about up till 12 and it was certainly closing in. I went south cross country from here and did a loop back along the coast and the headwind was directly in my face on the open few kilometres and made it very hard going, not as hard as climbing hills on the Big Dummy, like I was doing yesterday, but still. It was a good ride, a few drops of very light rain a sign of things to come. Made it back for the second sectuer and changed and sitting here with Caleb cheering for Boonen.
Hope everyone else had a decent weekend. Hope you had a great one as well Brian :)

Jamie

I am heading down this hill straight into a very strong headwind, just turned round for a photo
DSCN3700 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

In honour of Roubaix I did a short section of gravel ;)
DSCN3703 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3707 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looking dark
DSCN3710 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

pretty exposed when the weather turns
DSCN3711 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Getting dark now
DSCN3713 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3716 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

On the Flying Scot ride today I was trying to interest the lads in a wee gravel ride.

Start at Garbat (Ben Wyvis carpark), ride the track over the hump past Ben Wyvis to Evanton, bit of road to Ardross, then along Strathrusdale to Alladale, and then back across to join the Ullapool road near Inchbae lodge and a short road hop back to the carpark. About 60 miles gravel, and 20-ish on road.

Might have to do a recce with Jamie on the Merckx seeing as he likes Roubaix riding. :)

The Flying Scot ride. Inverness to Dores (Loch Ness) and back.

I was supposed to take my Flying Scot, but I really wanted to take my Andre Bertin, so relying on the Auld Alliance, I took that.

There were a couple of drool worthy Flying Scots there, and all were well used.

Until today I didn't know there was a cycle path almost all the way from Inverness to Dores. That's a shame because I've been avoiding that road because of the traffic.

The weather played ball, the rain obviously didn't want to sully the Scots, but you can see from the pic it was just waiting.

We stopped at the Dores Inn for refuelling purposes, but the wind was chilling so we left our bikes to enjoy the view of Loch Ness.

BTW my prejudice against derailleurs is fully justified. Proof herewith - ceased to function and had to set it to singlespeed to get home.

Re:

I've been to "Inners" today, not the DH tracks, but the xc loop instead.
I'm down that way with the Mrs for a few days, so whilst she was enjoying the hotel Spa, I drove a few miles down the road to Innerleithen :D

I parked up in the almost empty car park and looked at the hills and quickly decided I'd use the Mrs's 1998 Zaskar which has 3x9 gearing rather than take my Singlespeed on-one!!
It was a good choice too as pretty much the first half of the loop was all Uphill, the payoff being that most of the latter half of the loop was downhill, and there were some great sections of trail to be ridden.
I think I might actually prefer the Innerleithen xc loop to some of the routes I've done at Glentress tbh.
Anyway, I had a good time, the bike was good and I didn't have any mechanicals, oh and the sun came out for a while too. Perfect :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20170412_183727.jpg
    20170412_183727.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 379
Yesterday Brian and I attended the Pedal On Parliament (POP) ride in Inverness.
While this has been happening in Glasgow, Edinburgh and even the last couple of years in Aberdeen, it was a new and untried event for Inverness. While there is a good cycling scene in Inverness it was an unknown as far as how many people would show up. There was also the Great Glen Sportive in town for Sundays ride and it was again an unknown as to whether this would be an influence, positive or otherwise on the day. In the end it made no difference but it was a bit disappointing that there was zero support from any of the riders.
I was also without my co pilot as Caleb had a council beach clean at Dunnet Beach that he was very looking forward to.
I drove down in the morning and met up with Brian at Tiso, where we parked the cars and unloaded. Brian on his Ti On One and myself on the Big Dummy.
We weren't sure what to expect numbers wise, like the organisers as we later found out, but were pleasantly surprised by the amount of people at the meeting place. There was a great mix of riders from every style of riding, covering all ages from tiny babies in trailers through to some at a more advanced number of years to everything inbetween. It was a very sociable, short ride across to the council chambers/offices for a few speeches etc. It was good to go to show support and to show the council/government that they need to follow through on the promises they made, especially if they want people to vote for them again.
One cue, right at the end the heavens finally opened and it came to a close. We made a dash across town to Velocity café for some lunch and to dry out. Thankfully by the end the sky had brightened a bit and seeing as it was still early we would have a cruise ride down through the islands and down the canal to Dores and then back up the other side and back up past the marina. The weather held out and we had a nice relaxed ride and then back through the city to finish off at Tiso café for a final coffee and custard tart about 5.30 or so. Then it was unload/unpack the Dummy and squeeze it into the car and head home.
A different but enjoyable relaxed day. It was good to be a part of it and show support for the people who have influence over the policies effecting where and how I ride.

Jamie

18057171_162231650971601_8633110679613966594_n by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3727 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3730 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3731 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3736 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3741 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3743 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3744 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3748 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3751 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3754 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Yesterday I took part in the Dirty Reiver, a 200km Gravel event down in Kielder Forest.
I arrived on Friday to register and spent the night at a B&B in Hawick, it was late when i got there so I settled for a chip butty as my pre-ride dinner (preferred food of the amateur cyclist ;) ).
I was up at sparrows fart Saturday morning and got to Kielder castle by 6am. The place was buzzing with sleepy eyed cyclists on all kinds of bikes, from your usual gravel/adventure bikes to cx bikes, mountain bikes, and even a few singlespeeders! Carbon, steel, Titanium, aluminium, front suspension, full-suspension, you name it, it was there (even one guy on a retro mtb!).
There was around 800 folk registered, so we were set off in waves, I departed just after 7am.
And shortly after that my water bottles departed from my bike :facepalm: the first few miles were mayhem and carnage, there were some fast, rough downhill sections through the forest and that's where my bottles must have bounced out of their cages, as I saw plenty of other people's bottles scattered down the trail too. Literally every 50yards I passed someone fixing a puncture, probably from pinch flats on the rocky downhills.
Things then settled down and the route wound it's way along forest fire roads and tracks and out across open areas of moorland.
Although it had been frosty at the start I'd opted for shorts, Jersey and arm warmers, which proved to be ideal as the sun made fleeting appearances as the day went on and thankfully it stayed dry and quite mild throughout.
Feed station 1 came at around 30 miles and I stocked up on energy gels and bars, and filled my one remaining water bottle.
From there it was more of the same, some long grinding climbs, followed by fast fire road descents which made me glad I'd double wrapped my handlebars with bar tape.
The dry conditions meant there was loose gravel on the surface which made for some sketchy cornering on the downhills!
I think feed station 2 came around 65 miles or so, again I stocked up with food. Got talking to one chap who'd forgotten to bring his cycling shoes :LOL: so was doing the 200k wearing his trainers on his spd pedals :shock:
Shortly after leaving the feed station I reached down for a drink only to find the bottle had ejected itself at some point, so that'll be no more water for me then! There followed a period of deep depression and self doubt, the sun was shining, I was tired, thirsty, I had no water, I was now at a distance equalling my longest ever ride previously, I was heading into the unknown basically.
My mood was raised when I stopped to help an American guy who'd punctured, he was ready to walk for miles back to feed station 2 to get another tube, the madman, so I gave him one of my tubes (thankfully my tubeless tyres were impervious to puncture throughout the event :) ), in return I got a drink of his water, so it was win win :)
Feed station 3 arrived at some distance or other, I've no actual idea. But I did have a few cups of tea and flapjacks and sat around staring into the campfire they had going. The only water carrying vessel I had left was my tool bottle, so the tools were stuffed into pockets and the bottle filled with water :mrgreen:
There was one monster climb after the last feed station, where I caught up.with a guy on his singlespeed bike, running 38:18 gearing no less :shock: no wonder he was suffering on the climbs...
We then dropped down and the route took us around Kielder water, it was about with about 15k to go that my energy levels took a nosedive, every slight incline had me switching to my easiest gear and grinding way way upwards. Fortunately I got talking to a guy on an On One Inbred 29er and between us we struggled on. The last mile or so seemed to go on forever.
Before I knew it we were turning in towards the castle again and the very welcome finish line!
All in all it was 12hours 10minutes, 123miles, just short of 12,000ft of ascent, but it was the beating you took from the terrain that really made it tiring.

The event itself was very well organised, the signage on course was excellent, feed stations well stocked, and volunteers cheery and helpful.
I rode my GT Grade which is designed for this sort of event, running 35c Kenda Happy Medium tyres (tubeless), I added a Fuel Pod and two Stem Cell bags from Alpkit (which were good), and a Profile double bottle holder behind the saddle (which worked ok when I tested it, but wasn't up to the rough trails of Kielder, or maybe I should have tempered my speed downhill, who knows).

Would I do it again? I think so. I know I could do it quicker, and make a few changes to make things better equipment wise.
For now though, I'm drinking beer and having a day off from riding bikes :D

Attachments

• 20170422_064123-800x450.jpg
    20170422_064123-800x450.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 20170422_064050-800x450.jpg
    20170422_064050-800x450.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Screenshot_20170423-161330-800x612.jpg
    Screenshot_20170423-161330-800x612.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Screenshot_20170423-161359-800x593.jpg