Selling bikes at train stations

Re:

Well it's your local station so you know if it's dodgy or not. Don't see i as much of an issue really unless you live in the middle of badlands.

I've sold three bikes from my ll station with no dramas

nope not in badlands here thats a couple of stations up the road but the people from there get off an hang around are station

its ok in the daytime but i would not go there past 8pm on my own to drop a bike off

Re:

I once sold a Sunn Radical plus frame to a guy who came flew from Poland to collect it - I met him at the train station.

he flew back a month later to buy the odd axle size wheels :LOL: . I did warn him!

Well it turns out he was just a genuine guy looking for a bike for work, and I was happy to sell it to him, but I won't make a habit of selling bikes in the dark at train stations though.

getin":2ibnvyf9 said:
Well it turns out he was just a genuine guy looking for a bike for work, and I was happy to sell it to him, but I won't make a habit of sell bikes in the dark at train stations though.

Glad it had a happy ending :)

Spudly":3l06qhc7 said:
Whether you are going to meet to sell, or buy, always have someone with you!

I never go alone to buy anything these days, i dont turn up mob handed with a transit full of heads, but at least one friend with you just in case is always a good idea!

Crikey, I knew there was something else I wanted in life! Almost forgot :roll: Does anyone want to be my train station friend ? :LOL: :LOL:

For a small fee, I can meet you at a train station and be your hire-a-friend! Just for those non-eBay sales. Shhhhh!

Mike

02gf74":13vs7cry said:
Ive donr similar deals at motorway service stations, me buying stuff and an o couple of times selling

Write a receipt 2 copirs so that both of you are covered, 200 quid aint worth worrying about.

I thought this would be a post of someone standing with a pair of bolt cutters and you point to the bike you like to buy.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The thought did occur to me too! Nice one ;)

Mike

widowmaker":33xn7wmz said:
getin":33xn7wmz said:
Well it turns out he was just a genuine guy looking for a bike for work, and I was happy to sell it to him, but I won't make a habit of sell bikes in the dark at train stations though.

Glad it had a happy ending :)

..That was as well as the £200???

getin":wgieole9 said:
Well it turns out he was just a genuine guy looking for a bike for work, and I was happy to sell it to him, but I won't make a habit of selling bikes in the dark at train stations though.

Realistically, this is a very safe thing to do unless the bike is super-expensive. If someone mugs you for a £200 ebay bike then its an assault charge - possibly a very serious one - they've left a trail behind them on ebay, and because they've travelled by train they'll probably be on various CCTV cameras. And they've no way of knowing who you might bring with you, who else will be around the station, or how dangerous you are. It's one of the most stupid crimes possible.

Especially considering that all they get is a £200 bike - which they won't dare sell on ebay and will have to move quickly because it is evidence in a case the police will actually care about, unlike a normal bike theft, so they'll probably only get £100. For a fraction of the effort and risk they could buy a £5 pair of bolt cutters and hang around their local Tescos until some muppet locks up a Sirrus with a piece of cheesewire, then it's snip and they're gone - and the police really don't care, and in the astonishingly unlikely event they're caught, they're sentenced to repainting a local youth club for a week.

...The time to worry is when someone asks you to turn up with cash to an empty train station - or just possibly to a station that you don't know.

PurpleFrog":2e9wf0bo said:
getin":2e9wf0bo said:

Realistically, this is a very safe thing to do unless the bike is super-expensive. If someone mugs you for a £200 ebay bike then its an assault charge - possibly a very serious one - they've left a trail behind them on ebay, and because they've travelled by train they'll probably be on various CCTV cameras. And they've no way of knowing who you might bring with you, who else will be around the station, or how dangerous you are. It's one of the most stupid crimes possible.

Especially considering that all they get is a £200 bike - which they won't dare sell on ebay and will have to move quickly because it is evidence in a case the police will actually care about, unlike a normal bike theft, so they'll probably only get £100. For a fraction of the effort and risk they could buy a £5 pair of bolt cutters and hang around their local Tescos until some muppet locks up a Sirrus with a piece of cheesewire, then it's snip and they're gone - and the police really don't care, and in the astonishingly unlikely event they're caught, they're sentenced to repainting a local youth club for a week.

...The time to worry is when someone asks you to turn up with cash to an empty train station - or just possibly to a station that you don't know.

Totally understandable mate.

I didn't want to rush in to things I don't normally do, and getting some help from fellow retro bike members was helpful.

Latest posts

Back