1987/88 Scott USA - Serial Number OH 001

MSYT

Retro Guru
Hey folks... this one has been tucked away for a long time but I think it could be something nice?

A few years ago... 2019 maybe... I was doing the usual eBay trawling when I saw this old Scott. The MT60 and the pink caught my attention but I couldn't track down through the usual searches what model it was. I watched it on eBay for weeks, months maybe, before putting in an offer and it got accepted.

A two hour round trip later and I had the bike. It was extremely tired and was definitely showing signs of being well used. If my memory serves me right the previous owner said she thought she'd picked up the bike second hand in the early 90's and had kept it in regular use. It showed. The seat post was seized, along with the stem and BB. The crankset had been replaced along with the rear wheel. I was looking forward to restoring it though... until I started to tackle that seatpost.

It was a bloody nightmare and I ended up struggling with caustic soda before getting fed up and hanging the frame up.

A while later though I took the frame down to check it over and noticed the serial number. OH 001. Huh? 001...

There doesn't seem to be much information around of Scott's of that time. The bike came kitted with 6 Speed Deore MT60 (1987/198:cool: and nothing seems to match any bikes shown in searches for colour scheme / decal style. I was interested to find out what the model could be so I emailed Scott (USA, UK and Switzerland) before I got one reply saying they had no records of serial numbers etc so couldn't really help.

The only other "clues" may be the US/Canada Ski Team decal (but I've seen those on other bikes of that era) and the "World Cup" decal. That decal faintly says 1986 and 1987 and the trophy style matches the FIS World Cup. In 1986/1987 Switzerland won... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986–87_FIS_Alpine_Ski_World_Cup In fact, it looks like the World Cup started in August 1986 and ended in March 1987. Both the US and Canada competed. Perhaps it was a bike given to one of those teams or... I don't know. I would love to find out the origin though!

Does anyone have any knowledge or know anyone that could know?

Oh the goal is to FINALLY get back on it and get it all repainted this year. I have the decals remade... I just never got around to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.PNG
    IMG_0086.PNG
    910 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0087.PNG
    IMG_0087.PNG
    599.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0088.PNG
    IMG_0088.PNG
    598.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi, I recently purchased a Scott similar to yours. It's in a little better condition.

What's different is the frame's serial number, you can see it starts with F8... I'm guessing it's an '88.

The seatpost was cracked in the same place, so it's probably a manufacturing defect. What's left of the glued frame is the description For Professions Only.

This model does not appear in the 1988 catalogue, but the stickers suggest that it is a model from the Racing series.

Attachments

• PXL_20240104_181622744.jpg
    PXL_20240104_181622744.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240104_182039970.jpg
    PXL_20240104_182039970.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240104_180825110.jpg
    PXL_20240104_180825110.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240104_181417567.jpg
    PXL_20240104_181417567.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 22
Hi, I recently purchased a Scott similar to yours. It's in a little better condition.

What's different is the frame's serial number, you can see it starts with F8... I'm guessing it's an '88.

The seatpost was cracked in the same place, so it's probably a manufacturing defect. What's left of the glued frame is the description For Professions Only.

This model does not appear in the 1988 catalogue, but the stickers suggest that it is a model from the Racing series.

How cool!

I'm glad another one has surfaced! Perhaps they were just spec'd with a different paint job for race teams. Still wonder why mine seems to have a special serial number though. Have you tried to contact Scott about your serial number? They couldn't tell me anything about mine but maybe you'll have some luck.

Today I sent an question about a bike to Scott in the USA. I'll let you know if I get an answer.
I gave them the frame number, so we'll see.

This is the answer I received:

thank you for reaching out. I am very sorry to say that I don't have any catalogs that go back that far, and the serial number doesn't pull anything up on my end.

I wish I could be of some additional assistance, but it seems that this bicycle is older than any tech info I can pull up on my end.

it shows the same build spec as the 1984 sawtooth bicycle made by Scott USA.

In my opinion, it is a production from the beginning of 1988. The original Scott saddle on my bike is from 1987, the seatpost is the same as yours from 1988. It's a pity that there is no information about this model because it does not appear in the Scott catalog from 1988.

Back