Seatpost Woes

Re: Re:

Corblimeyguv":1f1rku87 said:
Riser bars are the way forward ;)

Only if they come fitted with barends ;) Nothing flashier or more useful than a 3" rise and barends :cool:

Re:

I used caustic soda on a stuck seat post in a Cindercone frame - it worked, but didn't do the paint many favours where it spilled out.

There was a thread, either here or stw where a slide hammer was used, and the post came out easily. One end fixed to the post, the frame inverted, held and bang bang bang out comes the post.

Re:

Probably should leave it alone but I'm a stubborn bugger and hate letting things beat me. Seeing as I have nothing to loose the seat post is marinating in Caustic Soda. It's a bit scary :shock:

Attachments

• Fizzing seatpost.jpg
    Fizzing seatpost.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 272
If some of the seatpost is still outside of the frame, freezing is the best way to get it out - provided it's an alloy post stuck in a steel rig.

Chemical bond/corrosion won't give a shit about anything else. Freezing has worked for me every goddamned time.

Re:

Success! The trouble was there wasn't enough to get a grip on for any other method. Anyway after a soak in caustic soda I pulled what was left out with a pair of long-nose pliers.

Just have to see if my mate will let me back in the workshop to weld the split. :mrgreen:

NOTE TO SELF: When someone lets go of bikes for free, there's probably a very good reason. :facepalm:

Attachments

• 20200811_110200_resized.jpg
    20200811_110200_resized.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 238
Back