Score of the day

Tedgey

GT Fan
Picked this up for a good price today ....although it's actually the other halves next project.
It's a Cannondale M800 Beast of the East and the paint work is in great condition the frame was produced in feb96 but the spec seems to be a mix of the 96/97 spec seems to be pretty much original apart for the wheelset.
Anyone else picked any new projects up today?😁

IMG_20220907_140741.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_140752.jpg
    IMG_20220907_140752.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not exactly a score but I did come home with a boot full of bicycle! Repairing a brand new Ammaco Amazon £150 special for a colleague. It failed within a few moments of them trying to ride it to work.

I can’t believe how bad it is. £150 could buy something really decent if you know what you’re looking at. I can’t find any redeeming features of it. The valve stem has somehow sheared off at the base, a really weird bit of damage on a brand new bike!

Not exactly a score but I did come home with a boot full of bicycle! Repairing a brand new Ammaco Amazon £150 special for a colleague. It failed within a few moments of them trying to ride it to work.

I can’t believe how bad it is. £150 could buy something really decent if you know what you’re looking at. I can’t find any redeeming features of it. The valve stem has somehow sheared off at the base, a really weird bit of damage on a brand new bike!
It's amazing people even buy those Amazon bike, like you said £150 would get you a great older bike that's much better quality

Problem is people, as said, don't know what to look for and most folks if you told them they ought to look for an older bike, they'd scour the marketplaces and come up clueless or buy some aluminium turd bso from 2006, because some nutter listed it as vintage and ultra rare. Do we start courses?

Would that be creating addicts? Would it be like going to AA for a weekend of binge drinking?

It’s a shame as I’d have pretty much given him the Marin I bought for £25 and am almost finished. Anyways just finished the BSO, everything needed tweaking and a new tube. Tempted to give him a basic toolkit as I suspect it’s his main transport.

It’s a shame as I’d have pretty much given him the Marin I bought for £25 and am almost finished. Anyways just finished the BSO, everything needed tweaking and a new tube. Tempted to give him a basic toolkit as I suspect it’s his main transport.
Reckon he'll need it. I imagine most bits are off brand stuff? I bought a cheapo bso like 6 or 7 years ago to see how the quality was, everything was pretty much grinding, not properly greased up, and most stuff not torqued to anywhere near spec.

Problem is people, as said, don't know what to look for and most folks if you told them they ought to look for an older bike, they'd scour the marketplaces and come up clueless or buy some aluminium turd bso from 2006, because some nutter listed it as vintage and ultra rare. Do we start courses?

Would that be creating addicts? Would it be like going to AA for a weekend of binge drinking?
No courses ... we'd have to share all the bargain gems with more people then 😁

Last edited:
Back