Scooter/Motorbike recommendations for a novice

The Honda looks ok but i'd steer clear of the Yamaha, imports can be a pain to get parts for plus its a 2-stroke which means it will need a rebuild sooner rather than later. Still think CG125 is the way to go, its reliable, unattractive to thieves unlike motocross style bikes and they're easy to get bits for.

Personally I'd avoid that last Honda. Deep down it's a good bike, but the single-cylinder CB models of that era are known to require frequent oil changes (every 700 miles) to avoid damaging the camshaft bearings. If the previous owner skipped one or 2 changes, that could be enough to cause a massive repair bill later on.

That problem is also the main reason for the development of the CG. Honda noticed that many CBs in the eastern regions were having camshaft problems, which sparked the development of the CG model. Basically the CG is an improved version of the CB.

as much as i like the CG125, the prices are still coming double what i have a budget for.... :(
not sure where else i can be looking. biketrader isnt coming up with much and neither is Ebay.

It is ironic that you can buy a bigger bike, like a 400/500cc with tax and mot for £500 and yet smaller 125's still seem to hold high prices, but that's the way it is . Because lots of people need a 125 for starting out/doing their test they hold a premium.

What you have to decide is........if i but ''this'' what more am i going to possibly have to end up spending on it........also if you plan to do your test on a 125, get one that you will be able to do '' the U turn on'' ie upright bars, not drops or chopper style, something like the CG in style will help you atain than. :D but yes you may have to save up a touch more fore peace of mind. But if you get a good one, you will make your money back when you sell it (don't part ex for bigger bike, they'll give you a shit price, sell private)

I like the DT80,it will (I guess) be mostly the same parts as a DT50,monoshock so good handling,2 stroke so fun.

CGs are cheap to run but twin shocks make for bad handling,and the power delivery will be dull.I had a CB100 when I was 17,it was crap.

Chute55uk":1y9j52y3 said:
Im sure one of the chinese firms do a cg copy with an actual rebadged cg engine

The problem with any chinese copy is trying to get spares as they're never exactly the same, i'd steer clear personally.

Back