Saracen Trekker 88 double U brake

Got there in the end but took best part of two and a half hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 308
Took all the tape off and despite my efforts some of the paint has got damaged, it's a shame but had to be done, hoping I can improve it with some cut and polish and maybe some touch up but still planning on keeping paint original.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 306
Nice work, persistence paid off :) Did you just have to keep topping up the caustic soda throughout?

Yes, every couple of minutes a little top up and every half hour or so empty the contents of the seat tube out to get rid of the black liquid and start with a full tube of fresh solution again. It seems the post was totally corroded in, the whole outer surface of the post appeared to be bonded to the seat tube so it basically had to be dissolved from the inside of the post out, it was quite a thick walled post so that's why it took so long, probably hadn't been moved for many years.

I took the original Hutchinson tyres off the wheels last night, more work, the rear tyre had "melted" itself to the rim and didn't want to come away, 45 minutes later I had them off, ready for the tip today!

Can't quite make my mind up what to do with the frame now in that my original plan was to avoid spending on it i.e. paint and decals. The Trekker name top tube ones were gone already and the seat tube ones have now lost their colour but my feelings are it's not worth putting new ones on unless it's repainted and if that happens I would then think it's more fitting to source new parts!, think I will stick with it's current patina showing it's journey so far! :D

Touch it up as best you can and build it up. If you use it a lot then you can think of respray later down the line. Better getting it built and ready to roll I say.

I think patina is the way forward with this, you've just added some more battle scars with a story to tell :) You can always repaint at a later date if you change your mind.

For all you U brake fans out there, I have sourced a couple of boxes of new old stock Shimano XT U brake pads, see my link in my signature, ;)

adds more character to me, i like it as it is.

in my thread on this i seem to recall someone saying they had some surplus decals etc or access to the images etc if thats something you might be interested in.

you are on the home straight now - cant wait to see it finished - inspirational

Back