RPotM JULY - SHIMANO MONTH - NOMINATIONS NOW OPEN -

torqueless":1xej5wd3 said:
By way of totally off-topic hijack, I can't help noticing that stevevw's Pat Hanlon has a noticeably off-centre brake-mounting hole. I have a 1975 mystery frame with the same feature, and in the same direction- more than a mm over to driveside. Accident or design? Is this an identifying feature of a certain framebuilder? And/or an attempt at compensating for the lopsided geometry of side-pulls?

This is on a 531db frame that is otherwise true and symmetrical, as I assume stevevw's Hanlon is, so I'd reckon the chances of it being accidental to be small. How common is this? Anyone else got one?

:LOL:

.....just to add to the close examination of the nice picture, it would be rude not to comment, I would
say that the wheel isn't centered judging by more unworn tyre dimples on the NDS. :facepalm:

PS: Or perhaps the tread is not centered on the tyre casing :?

Re:

Woz- So are you saying that the tyre might be somehow off-centre and therefore the brake mounting hole is not? I still maintain that, unless stevevw's camera suffers from severe astigmatism, that hole is off-centre, regardless of the tyre!

It's good to know about this stuff. As you can imagine, my frame played merry hell with my attempts at wheel-centering until I realised what was up.

Apologies for my Shimano-free posts..

Re: Re:

torqueless":vg0g123h said:
Woz- So are you saying that the tyre might be somehow off-centre and therefore the brake mounting hole is not? I still maintain that, unless stevevw's camera suffers from severe astigmatism, that hole is off-centre, regardless of the tyre!

It's good to know about this stuff. As you can imagine, my frame played merry hell with my attempts at wheel-centering until I realised what was up.

Apologies for my Shimano-free posts..

Yes....and no. It's a suggestion looking at the uneven left-right tyre wear - I can't really rule out the brake bridge hole is
totally dead center. As you say, SLR cameras (which I assume this was taken) play tricks with parallex errors
and lens aberrations.

The only way to see what is aligned and not is to put the frame back in a frame building jig to see
if everything lines up.

Some great entries coming in, thanks retrobikers of the road :)
Foz, if ever there was an iconic rear mech, I believe the 7402 would top the list, though its my favourite, so I could be ever so slightly biased.
Random42, I am just back from a few days away but hope there is a thread somewhere showing more of that lovely RIH.

Jamie

Forget the AX handlebars........................I think you should enter the wrapping of them :)

Shaun

Re:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Jamie - I will certainly create a thread for the RIH soon, but I'm having trouble finding a set of Dura Ace 7200 braze-on DT shifters to complete the build (and then I have the issue of mounting them on normal "square" bosses).

Shaun - I got lucky in that the AX bars came with the correct "special" end plugs which made wrapping easier. The silver colour Benotto Cello tape matches well, but I had to be a little economical when wrapping as the amount on the rolls was marginal.

Latest posts

Back