Round mother's for tea

Morgenmad morning food
Middagsmad midday food
Eftermiddagsmad afternoon food
Aftensmad evening food
Natmad night food

You're welcome, you may have our vastly superior universally understood Danish food consumption time table.
There's something similar here:

Breakfast
Lunch
Afternoon tea (cucumber sandwiches, scones, Victoria sponge...)
Dinner
Late night snack for some

However, there are some aberrations in the more, er, 'eccentric' counties.

There's something similar here:

Breakfast
Lunch
Afternoon tea (cucumber sandwiches, scones, Victoria sponge...)
Dinner
Late night snack for some

However, there are some aberrations in the more, er, 'eccentric' counties.
That is indeed very straight forward. When my better half first moved here I believe she occasionally called it afternoon tea. Which was usually just tea and cake, or any sort of snacky thing. Never knew people could enjoy cake and sweet stuff daily 'til I met her.

Morgenmad morning food
Middagsmad midday food
Eftermiddagsmad afternoon food
Aftensmad evening food
Natmad night food

You're welcome, you may have our vastly superior universally understood Danish food consumption time table.
Certainly a good deal more logical than mine:
Breakfast
Dinner
Supper
Supper

Has been driving the wife mad for a couple of decades now, but I like to think I'm logical and consistent regarding nearly everything else!

Certainly a good deal more logical than mine:
Breakfast
Dinner
Supper
Supper

Has been driving the wife mad for a couple of decades now, but I like to think I'm logical and consistent regarding nearly everything else!
It's amazing how many variations there are over there. Despite having a bit of a laugh at it all, it's great that stuff like that isn't homogenised. A lot of stuff is over here, regional variations in language is quite rare here these days to be honest.

We do have some regional variations though, here in Jutland, which is more rural. Growing up we used to go buy 'a piece for the coffee' which would be a cake or some sort of pasty for afternoon coffee at my grandparents. But mostly Danish words and phrases are very logical and literal.

I will throw three out there to get my fellow english arguing ;)

Tea bag followed by water and milk, or tea bag and milk followed by water?

Regarding scones.....jam on the cream, or cream on the jam?

Next weekend meaning the weekend following this coming weekend, or next weekend meaning the coming weekend?

I will throw three out there to get my fellow english arguing ;)

Tea bag followed by water and milk, or tea bag and milk followed by water?

Regarding scones.....jam on the cream, or cream on the jam?

Next weekend meaning the weekend following this coming weekend, or next weekend meaning the coming weekend?

heathen. :p
tea bag, water, stir the shit out of it, leave it for 20 minutes having forgotten about it, dump down sink, leave teabag in the sink, start again, this time don't go and look at the squirrel, tea bag, water, bugger (either the kettle wasn't full enough or you forgot to boil it again), dump the 1/3 of a cup of tea water down the sink, leave the tea bag in the sink and start again, tea bag, boiling water, stir, squish the teabag against the side of the cup 3 times, stir some more, hear your partner walk though to the kitchen, get another cup out, tea bag, water, stir, remove tea bag from first cup and dump it in the second one, stir some more. remove both tea bags with 1 spoon, make joke about it, chuck in bin, milk in both, give partner first cup because it's a bit colder and really strong. remove tea bags from sink before partner beats you with the spoon.

scones, it's half scone, butter, cream, jam, cream, butter, other half of scone.
then squish it all down so it spurts (hehe) out the side and eat it while holding eye contact with the old dear in the tweed jacket that you sat opposite. she will either be incredible aroused at your manly man man ways, or disgusted and tell her husband who has his back to you about how the national trust will let anybody in these days.

weekend? nope don't know what that is, is it the bit of the week where I still get up at stupid o-clock to make the kids breakfast before starting a day of hard labour getting the house tidy/painted/built or the garden dug/mowed/turned upside down?

either way you can keep this weekend (The weekend coming) and the next weekend (the weekend after it).

For me,

Breakfast
2nd breakfast
3rd breakfast
Brunch
Dinner
4th breakfast

And itā€™s always, water after teabag first, not milkā€¦

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

Green/herbal/fruit tea. No coffee.

Water.

Ciders on Friday and Saturday nights.

Jam first obviously.

Baked beans are the devil's spawn.

Kale makes me ill.

That's about it :LOL:

I used to do a lot of walking around Malham when my kid was little.. followed by a Sunday dinner at one of the pubs in the village... their Yorkshire puds were a work of art, when we ordered dessert.. even the scoops of ice cream were served in a large warm Yorkshire pudding.. phwoar!

Incredible, my kid looked a little perplexed but being in Yorkshire I said to him ā€˜come on, gerrit ettā€™enā€™

Back