Rocky Mountain "Syncros" Expérience (COMPLETED)

Re: Rocky Mountain "Syncros" Expérience

paulswheels":3lih6jn6 said:
Very Nice. Sometimes in my mind a period correct bike that is being ridden would have non OEM parts as the bike is upgraded, parts break etc. Suppose I'm not a purist when it comes to the period correct part. But this bike I enjoy looking at and after all, we are here on RB to express our labour of love. Nice build :)

RockiMtn":3lih6jn6 said:
I like it too. The funny thing with all these 'brochure' bikes is that back in the day, many of us just bought frames and changed components over the years anyway. You were a bit of a saddo if you rode a high end bike that was to factory spec. You just didn't break anything by riding around in circles at a race car park while flicking through your Filofax

wall eater":3lih6jn6 said:
That's how I feel. For instance my Cirrus, I've owned it since 92 and having built it up in 95, I selected from what was best for the build in that year, as opposed to what was available in 92, or what it was spec'd with in the catalogue. And even in the last few years of joining RB, I've changed so much on it to what I couldn't afford back then, or didn't even know existed.

What I'm learning here is that a build like this Expérience has a story to tell about the period, the person and how they evolved together as parts broke and upgrades arrived on the scene. This seems much richer than an catalogue correct artifact frozen in time.

think you may have mixed up the quotes. i'm sure i didn't make the second comment, and i was the one who made the third. ;)

thanks for your comments supporting my decisions with how i build my projects! :D

Oops. My apologies for mixing up the quotes. I must sharpen up on the use of the forum.

No worries mate… and no need to apologize! Just wanted to clarify! ;)

i've done a few updates so thought I'd share. since i had them, i finally applied the decals to the frame. i also had to swap out the ti Syncros BB axle for a longer one and adjust and push out the chainline as the front derailleur cage was rubbing against the nubs still back tyre.

now the more exciting update (for me at least). i've managed to finally get my hands on a better condition frame. :D it's almost original except for the saddle, tyres, pedals and front fork. full DX groupset, original RM house brand wheeltech built DX on Wolber AT20, RM branded bar, stem and seatpost, Rock-Ring, and most importantly… original decals! :)

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC00117.JPG
    DSC00117.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC00115.JPG
    DSC00115.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC00116.JPG
    DSC00116.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC00114.JPG
    DSC00114.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC00113.JPG
    DSC00113.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 516

The black decals look great with all the Syncros parts. Very nice!
What's the plan with the original build / pink decal bike? A matching pink Tange fork? Or another Syncros powerlite?

Blizz":3kp9dp04 said:
The black decals look great with all the Syncros parts. Very nice!
What's the plan with the original build / pink decal bike? A matching pink Tange fork? Or another Syncros powerlite?

my plans are to take all the Syncros & parts and shift them all over to the lilac/lavender frame and move on the black frame to someone else to enjoy. from there i'll decide if i can leave the original decals on it, or if not, then i'll get black/white decals re-made for it.

Re: Re:

paulswheels":2sbfnv12 said:
Keep me in mind when you are ready to let your baby venture out :cool:
sorry to say that someone is already in line for it. if that changes i'll let you know. ;)

so tearing down the lilac frame was a fairly quick and easy affair till i got to the last step of extracting the BB. non-drive side lock ring and cup was no issues. however the drive side fixed cup was another matter. haven't been able to budge it whatsoever. doesn't help that all i have is a double sided headset wrench that i can't get much leverage on. i tried keeping the wrench from slipping off the cup with a rod, bolts and some washers and smacking the wrench with a mallet… no luck.

then i did some searching and read this post in the following thread and i thought it might do the trick to allow me to get more leverage onto the BB cup: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=298759&start=5

went to the hardware store and picked up a short bolt, washer and nut and tried to secure it to the bb cup to see if i could use some sockets to allow me to use a long torque wrench. however i couldn't secure the bolt/washers tight enough to lock to the cup, but instead the bolt still spun in place instead of taking the cup with it in it's rotation. needless to say the hole for the axle is fairly mashed up and can't be re-used at this point.

i don't believe the cup is seized given how easy the non-drive came off and the bb shell threads are clean. but i've resigned to soaking the bb shell and cup with some liquid wrench for now to hopefully loosen it up a tad. failing that i'll have take the frame to a shop and see if they can help extract it. at this point i'm thinking i might need this fixed cup tool to get this bugger out. needless to say i can't afford/justify buying this bloody tool.

http://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/C358.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191295060556
C-358a.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00127.JPG
    DSC00127.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 435
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back