Rocky Mountain Cirrus 1992 project

I just sold that exact frame. It was too small for me, sadly. And I would suggest, that yours is a 18.5", cos it looks like mine did...

Oh, and nice project btw. I will be watching with interest.

Thanks for your kind words guys.

Definitely a 20" Thias, centre of crank to top of seat tube.

The rebuild was going swimmingly I had just topped up the forks with air as per Syncrosfans instructions and I was happy until I went to remove the front fork brace to give them a clean, only to find that the screw in brake bosses have actually sheared within the fork :(

Anyone know how to get these out and where to get replacement bosses?

Maybe I should have test ridden the bike when I bought it but with flat forks and a 30.9 seatpost sat in the top of a 30.4 seat tube I decided not to. Lesson learnt :facepalm:

Pics:

Did both brake bosses break off in there?
Honestly at this point I would say it's almost easier to get a new pair of Mag 21's than repair those (they look like they had a pretty rough life anyways).

Yup, they are only a bit visually challenged ;)

I'm guessing they are the original forks and the wheels, drivetrain etc are as per the catalogue spec so I presume original as well and they have hardly seen any use so the forks are I reckon mechanically great.

I've found a German supplier for the bosses:

https://shop.brake-stuff.de/en/brake-bo ... ze-m6.html

Just need to order them.

I had a dig through my tool boxes and found these:

The smallest one suits M3-M6 threaded bolts so should work hopefully.

Re:

Ah nuts - sorry about the Mag 21s - let us know how you get on (not least as I have to do the same thing soon with a broken bottle cage bolt!)

Well the old girls all sorted accept for the front brake issue.

She may not be a full resto garage queen but she has as many original parts as possible including the forks which I do hope I can save, they've held air overnight so would be a real shame to swap out.

I even went as as far as reusing the rear gear cable on the front mech as it was in fine order once trimmed.

I just wish it fitted, I'd love to keep this one but unless I can find a stretching rack it's never going to be ;)

This'll be for sale shortly. Tim

Back