Roadie Dilemma

Re:

Winter roadie is a Charge Plug 5. Tange Prestige frame, 10spd SRAM Force, Hydro discs and mudguards left on permanently. 28c Kenda's feel a bit wooden but have been perfect over 2 winters.

Summer fun bike is a Canyon Ultimate CF, 11spd Ultegra and Mavic Carbone SLE aero wheels with 25c Mavic tyres. So quick compared to the Charge but still amazingly comfy.

Moved the Colnago along last year. Loved the look of it, just didn't use it much.

My winter roadie is the same as my summer roadie. Whats the point? As long as you clean the shite off after a ride it doesn't matter.
2013 Felt F85 . Nice alu frame now dressed in Ultegra 6700 and Zondas with 25mm Michelin Pro4
1965 Claud Butler Olympic Sprint path racer (My commuter which is the same age as me)
1958 Sun Super Vitesse frame
1990s Reynolds 653 frame (probably a Dolan/Cougar/Ribble) (Will be the next project. 2 x 10 with downtube friction shifters and a retro look)

Old / retro road bikes can , with some careful choice of components , be as light and quick as modern stuff. My 653 frame is featherweight. I've got some decent bits and pieces in the parts bin which will hopefully build up a sub 9kg bike. And a nice steel frame is a lovely ride especially compared to alu. I have to admit I've never ridden a carbon bike so can't pass judgement on them.

Where is this going ? Are we going to have a MacRetro road ride this year ? Back to Arran or Killin or Velos 3 Abbeys ride (brilliant day out)

Hawmaw":347zjlrs said:
1965 Claud Butler Olympic Sprint path racer (My commuter which is the same age as me)
1958 Sun Super Vitesse frame

Old / retro road bikes can , with some careful choice of components , be as light and quick as modern stuff.

Your Sun is the same age as me :LOL:

Regarding Old / retro bikes you've got me looking at my old 531 Peugeot Optimum with RX100 running gear :cool:

Hawmaw":1w026nes said:
Where is this going ? Are we going to have a MacRetro road ride this year ? Back to Arran or Killin or Velos 3 Abbeys ride (brilliant day out)
"I think" my first excursion with the MacRetro crew "will" have to be a road ride as I canny afford to fall off for a while. Am no saying you canny fall off on a road ride but I hope there's less chance of it :facepalm:

Mainly been riding the Trucker over the winter. A few sunny rides on the Merckx and now the Pugs is back together I may start with puyying the Mercian back together on a real shoestring budget. My gearbox is dying, almost dead in the car so it will be a lean build for sure. Will most likely use the 7400 Dura Ace stuff in the loft and my Open Pro Ultegra wheels. I should really just need a bottom bracket. I may swap the DA stuff onto the Merckx and put the Ultegra triple onto the Mercian.
Need to sort vehicles out first. Most likely be more cost effective to get another as the Passat has 102 000 mile and needs some other stuff as well.
I would definitely be up for a road ride somewhere with the macretro clan.
Remember that we are having a ride up/down at Dingwall on the 19th of this month when Velo comes north. More the merrier.
Jamie

Re:

Mr P. lead us on that great though wet ride from Kilin by Loch Tay as I remember. Now he has relocated to Grampian he might have a good road circuit he could do up there. I especially enjoyed playing chicken between me on the Pig Iron Special and that Ford Fiesta at that cattle grid :LOL:

Jamie, the ride in Dingwall is on Saturday 19th, not Sunday 20th as you've said above. We dont want to confuse people !

Back