Rivers Lochs and Glens

Anytime! I can show you a couple of alternative routes avoiding that Wemyss Bay road. I was chatting to gmac recently about road rides, maybe time to set up another west coast run.

Wemyss Bay stretch wasn't too bad on Sunday, I started off early to miss the worst of it. The A78 dual carriageway was about the worst part of the entire route, one donkey in a car missed me by inches just before the junction where there are 3 lanes and the left coming off for Irvine, feck knows what he was thinking but I guarantee his ears were red hot before he reached the roundabout ;)

A road run would be good, I'm sure velo would enjoy that :shock:

47p2":15890t8n said:
Velo,
124 miles in 14 hours is only an average speed of 8.85MPH

Aye but with the rest and be thankful in the middle of it?! I get a nosebleed just driving that road.

I still think your deluded if you believe 'anyone' can maintain 8.85mph for 14 hours. There is much more to riding a bike than just turning the pedals :roll:

The longest cycle I've done was 111.75 miles with an elevation gain of 9388 feet

My time was just under 7 hours with an average speed of 16.1 mph so I don't know why you think 8.85mph is so impossible to achieve :shock:

normal_ELevation.png

Attachments

• LOTL.png
    LOTL.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 479
I averaged 9.8mph over 102 miles around Western Ross-shire on this rod braked roadster singlespeed. I wasn't worrying about speed, just out for a cruise. There were a few climbs on the way, and there was some extended wimping out and sheltering from some horizontal rain for about an hour or so.

I generally aim to knock off 10 miles in each hour on a long ride these days. It's a pace that allows me time for brew ups, shelter stops, or a wander along any interesting tracks I see. If I was doing it for the exercise, I'd be doing it another way.

Back