Reynolds 653

Re:

Its interesting that the rear triangle is supposed to be super strong. Both chain-stays cracked on my 653 Raleigh. I had the one with the faded pastel colours. Raleigh replaced them and my frame came back painted a random purple colour. I cracked the chain-stays again about a year later. Moved on to racing on Aluminium frames after that!

Re: Re:

4th in the devil":15l2zxjb said:
Its interesting that the rear triangle is supposed to be super strong. Both chain-stays cracked on my 653 Raleigh. I had the one with the faded pastel colours. Raleigh replaced them and my frame came back painted a random purple colour. I cracked the chain-stays again about a year later. Moved on to racing on Aluminium frames after that!

Where did they crack?

They cracked on the inside, just behind the bridge. My 531 SL Holdsworth Professional broke in the same place so it might have been my riding style or "awesome power" that did it! I weighted under 12 stone in those days so I wasn't a heavy rider.

I remember the old wives tales about the "fragility" of 753 at the point I was contemplating my Tom Board frame and discussed it with him.
If I recall correctly (and this is by no means guaranteed) Tom was of the view that the 753 set was less durable (more brittle) than 653 and aimed at people who intended to replace their frames frequently. Since this was not my situation, we agreed on 653 - and I've been absolutely delighted with it, although it hasn't had the miles put on it that I originally envisaged. The lack of cracking is probably a function of my lack of "awesome power" combined with Tom's beautiful workmanship.

Incidentally, he did advise me not to chrome the chainstay and ends as I had originally intended (so I didn't) and that seems consistent with advice given by others above.

Re:

I have a couple of 753 frames and a 653 and they weigh the same (the 653 is actually between the two 753s). I’ve heard many of the stories about 653 but I’m happy riding it. Indeed, collecting old steel bikes may not be understood by everyone but is probably cheaper than therapy over the years, has a resale value (at least, that’s what we all maintain) and has the ability to induce the biggest grins.

I’ve posted bits and pieces elsewhere so hope these will add to the understanding. Here’s the inside cover of the 1988 catalogue with reference to the introduction of 653 (can’t be certain of catalogue date: there is a 8/88 reference at the back but no date on the cover).

Here’s the page from the same catalogue with 653: no reference at this stage to silver soldering. I’ve posted elsewhere about the apparent discrepancy between seat post sizes, with Reynolds’ recommending 26.6 for metric tube sets, but my three metric frames are all 26.8.

In the 1991 catalogue silver soldering is recommended for the chain stays, same tube sizes as used in 753 frames.

1992 saw introduction of 731os, another tubeset with variable strength technology.

Reynolds - it's good stuff!

Attachments

• 653 1.jpg
    653 1.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 653 2.jpg
    653 2.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 653 3.jpg
    653 3.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 653 4.jpg
    653 4.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 167
Re: Re:

Chat Noir":9v164vk7 said:
...collecting old steel bikes may not be understood by everyone but is probably cheaper than therapy over the years, has a resale value (at least, that’s what we all maintain) and has the ability to induce the biggest grins.

So true. :mrgreen:

Pionir":2d01nw7q said:
I did not know that about Thrust2!

Fun fact: the wing spars and IIRC engine subframe of the Hawker Hurricane were also in 531. Probably the engine frames of others were too.

hamster":2xylkl1l said:
Pionir":2xylkl1l said:
I did not know that about Thrust2!

Fun fact: the wing spars and IIRC engine subframe of the Hawker Hurricane were also in 531. Probably the engine frames of others were too.
Something in the back of my mind says that I might have read somewhere that one of the north London area frame builders in the late 30's or so used 531 offcuts from aircraft to build frames. Possibly one (if not the) first use of 531 in cycle manufacture?

Back