RetroRoadRide No2 -Brewery Rides AFTERMATH

Re:

Never really been much of a road rider, but since Uncle M. bought his piece of Italian exotica and I manage to pick up a Slim Chance, I thought I would give it a whirl. This was my first proper road ride and I had an absolutely great time. The route was really good, couldn't believe how few cars we saw, the lunch Karl laid on was really appreciated, and the beer back at the brewery fantastic. To top the day off, even the drive back round the M25 was good.
Definitely won't be my last road ride.

"The Pink Behind"

Re:

A really enjoyable day out. Many thanks Karl for the hospitality, food and beer, and for organising a really nice route. Thanks also to everybody who guided, corner marked and generally herded us round.

A few faces I know from MTB jaunts and my first road rides, and as always it was good to meet new faces. Glad to hear Gabrielle is OK and I hope you are not suffering too much today with the bruises. Good on you for getting back on.

Some fantastic machinery being ridden. Truth is I didn't really take it all in - sensory overload. I really liked the Sid Mottram, the Grubb the Roberts and of course that lovely Hetchins, but all them really looked the part. Well.... Almost. Daj- if you don't clean and service that Colnago, I am going to confiscate it and do it for you. It is a disgrace.

As it has no serial number I have been given a wonderfully vague estimation of the age of my own bike by the builder - "before 2000 and after '92 but one of the first". So take your pick of any year in that lot. It's not that retro- but it is made of steel. Bugloss is quite right, he didn't have to twist my arm at all, so he is absolved of all responsibility. Daj did tell me where I had to buy my outfit for road riding so that's entirely his fault. :D
I felt absolutely bushed after the ride and slept like a log! Looking forward (with some trepidation) to the next round).

Cheers- Chris. (All the gear but.....)

Re: Re:

feetabix":j3leg3xr said:
Hi men.......

First off, my most sincere apologies!........after years of promising I would never do it, and in the middle of the year I promised myself I would go to every ride, I pulled the classic 'no notice' pike!......

A mild feeling of being bit under the weather on Thursday morning erupted into a full on virus, my first day off work sick since 1997, and a hospital visit on Saturday night........I seem to be on the mend now, the fever has gone, but I have (randomly) about 20% strength in my forearms.........

Either way, I'm really sorry for not being there.......I really wasn't up for it!.......glad you had a good time though........

Could you tell us what test you are using to measure forearm strength?

As for the ride, phew what a day! To quote Douglas Adams there was "excitement, adventure and really wild things!"

Few personal highlights from a top day.

Harrycrumb flying over all the lumps in the big ring only to claim a training regime of 5 miles to work and back :D

Daj's Colnago sounding like it was going to explode whenever anyone went near it.

A voice asking 'I thought there were no hills in Warwickshire'.

The absence of cheese rage.

Ken losing three riders and flounce-gate.

Oh and my bike - Sid Mottram

And my fave bikes of the day? A dead heat between LGF's Norman Fay and DA-EVO's Roberts.

I quite liked seeing a 'fine tuned Italian pedigree' being treated as a winter hack. It's just a bike, se non è vero?

Re: Re:

Could you tell us what test you are using to measure forearm strength?

.......single handed extraction of probably only two softmints from a fresh pack prior to gentlemens cramp, and mint rage?.........

.......certainly not enough forearm stamina to spend a morning trying to maintain visual contact with an apple rolling around in your leather saddle satchel whilst you single handedly chase down groups of seasoned roadies on a 35 year old fixie again mate!........ :LOL:

A public thank you to Karl for laying on the beer and sunshine. Thanks also to my fellow pootlers who put up with the hills and potholes with such bonhomie.

A public apology to Keith who we eventually abandoned by the roadside with a clutch of inner tubes. Sometimes even a spare spare inner tube isn't enough! Luckily he was only a few miles from home.

The aftermath for me included riding some of the same lanes the next day. I surprised a black fallow deer on Hardingwood Lane and the deer ran ahead of me for a while. I moderated my speed for it's benefit but it bailed out into the hedge at the first opportunity. Hey-ho.

I really enjoyed the day, a great pleasure to meet everyone and ogle their bicycles. My faves were the Freddy Grubb and the Hetchins Magnum Bonum. Hope to see them again soon!

Back