Retrobike Touring.

We all start as novices at touring! It's one of those areas where there is no single right answer, so it's very much trial and error for daily distance, camping or accommodation, how much stuff you like taking, comfort level tolerated, what kind of terrain etc etc.

30 mile round trips with an overnighter are every bit as much touring as are long self-supported expeditions in remote areas or fast dashes between city centres on road bikes staying in hotels.

Start with short runs, see what works and slowly extend. A 10 mile trip to a campsite and an overnight might be a good starter - or a longer ride to stop in a B&B, explore a bit and ride back.

Speaking personally my typical trip is 40-60 miles riding on quiet lanes and old railway tracks, camp and a nice meal in a small bar or restaurant.

Re:

Thanks Hamster :D !

I see you are in the New Forest, not far from me. Have you any routes you would recommend that are in the area that avoid (as much as possible) roads, lunatic cars.

Just to test the equipment/bike/tent.

Re:

Ooooh, prime opportunity for some Singletrack Bikepacking!

Way more fun than road touring for me, but also tends to cover far less distance. Worth it for the more interesting riding though

Re: Re:

ILoveEnriqueAli":bmopweuk said:
Ooooh, prime opportunity for some Singletrack Bikepacking!

Way more fun than road touring for me, but also tends to cover far less distance. Worth it for the more interesting riding though

I try my best to avoid cars, too many inconsiderate muppets about so disused railways etc are perfect. I travel light generally through life, like Kwai Chang Caine :D

Camping in the Forest is more difficult at present as the Forestry Commission sites are closed for the year (bonkers decision in my view). However there is a nice little private site by Lepe Beach:
https://coolcamping.com/campsites/uk/en ... tgQAvD_BwE
Also Acres Down Farm, very small and quiet:
http://www.acresdownfarm.co.uk/campsite.html
This one allows you to roll straight into the cycle network's best parts. Loop through Bolderwood to Burley, then up to Frogham, along Hampton Ridge on the old bombing range to Fritham, and then various ways back.
The orange OS Explorer map for the New Forest is the best starting point to plan. It's easy to come in by train from London or Reading, get off in Ashurst or Brockenhurst.

As the Forest has a blanket 40mph limit, the cars aren't too bad.
PM me for more detail.

Re:

What's the best, simple, reliable gearing for general touring. Double or triple, just seeing what parts I have before sourcing more.

I have some XT thumbies for 7/8 speed that I was going to use but thinking double or triple crank :?

Re:

3x8/9 is optimal imo.

1x and 2x can work if you have large range cassettes that are 10 or 11 speed, but not very retro!

I tried 2x8 for a bit and I definitely felt like I was missing options, not worth it for them minimal weight saving unless you're doing ultra races I think

Gearing depends on terrain and how much stuff you are taking. Certainly a bottom gear at around 20"-ish is a good start, so a triple with something like a 22/32/42 and 11-28.
You can end up grinding a lot in bottom gear or close to it, so fashionable 1x transmissions have really accelerated wear in these circumstances from the horrid chainline in low gears. They also don't have the range in my view.

Personally I want something simple and bombproof - I run bar-end shifters. My tourer gets loaded on and off planes, trains, ferries and manhandled a lot as a result. Thumbies are ideal, if it all goes wrong you switch to friction, which is no hardship at all.

Personally I use 7 speed: the wheel has a bit less dish, making it a little stronger. You should be fine with an 8/9 speed setup.

Re:

I use the biggest cassette I can fit. Up to 36 with long cage rm. when fully loaded it was a godsend. Even bigger on 29ers. You’ll thank me when you hit the first long drag at 15/20%.

Latest posts

Back