Retrobike Touring.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":3dsqe9hp said:
I am building a tourer, would XT hubs and Mavic 217/517 rims be ok for light daily touring or should I search for something tougher ?

I've toured on M231 (36H) for 25 years, your 217/517 will be fine. If you ar eusing XT hubs, as long as they aren't M780 you will be fine. M780 has reduced bearings sizes to save weight and they have proven unreliable in touring circles. M735/737 are bombproof.

Re: Re:

hamster":d2zi6g3q said:
widowmaker":d2zi6g3q said:
I am building a tourer, would XT hubs and Mavic 217/517 rims be ok for light daily touring or should I search for something tougher ?

I've toured on M231 (36H) for 25 years, your 217/517 will be fine. If you ar eusing XT hubs, as long as they aren't M780 you will be fine. M780 has reduced bearings sizes to save weight and they have proven unreliable in touring circles. M735/737 are bombproof.

How do you know this stuff :cool:

Mine are M737 so all good, thanks for the info.

Personally I wouldn't worry about using an alu frame, the only exception if I was touring round the world in remote areas. The extra stiffness will help it handle nicely when loaded...nice top-end springy steel frames can turn into monsters with deathwishes when loaded up.

hamster":2wz7ucr6 said:
Personally I wouldn't worry about using an alu frame, the only exception if I was touring round the world in remote areas. The extra stiffness will help it handle nicely when loaded...nice top-end springy steel frames can turn into monsters with deathwishes when loaded up.

I am looking for a large steel frame but they are not too common.

I have a 90's Giant Alu that I was thinking could be built up at least for this year, to dip my toe in :D

hamster":37kk24v3 said:
:D i had a couple of skinny steel bikes BITD, putting a couple of panniers on them meant that any climb requiring me to stand would result in front and rear wheels going in opposite directions! Keeping the speed well below 40 on descents was also essential........

widowmaker":15drni2v said:
hamster":15drni2v said:

I am looking for a large steel frame but they are not too common.

I have a 90's Giant Alu that I was thinking could be built up at least for this year, to dip my toe in :D

Don't use an aluminium frame as a touring frame. I have spoken.

Back