Retrobike Touring.

Foam are cheap and unbreakable. I like them as they can be used on sharp surfaces, handy when sitting on the ground to keep the damp out etc.

The cheap inflatable / self inflating ones (up to say £40) are OK, but tend to be a little fragile. After a while I ended up playing whack-a-mole with slow leaks (£20 HiGear ones), the sort that wake you up with cold and backache at 2am after deflating slowly over a couple of hours. One bramble prickle and they can start to leak. Mine went around the valves, which I then patched with moderate success.

Being naturally tight I've not bothered buying a decent inflating one yet. Thermarest are a decent brand; prices seem to vary wildly between outlets.

It's the usual light/strong/cheap conundrum.

Re:

Thanks again Hamster!!

I have a cheap foam one that I'll use for the 'shake down' ride and then I'll go from there.

It's bright yellow, and can attract attention from car drivers :D

The History Man":2nqx3mb8 said:
It was good enough for me for a couple of years!

Nothing wrong with the tent, I have used it a few times and happy with it.

I may need some front panniers unless I can cut down on the gear :D

People get overly obsessed with kit and weight. Ride, explore interesting places and enjoy. Nobody's day was ever ruined by 1kg extra!
This guy takes it to extremes, eats cold food and has less than 7kg of luggage. He takes no guidebook and no map, relying on preset route cards. He probably also has a miserable time:
http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/

I reckon around 12-14kg is a typical weight for my touring (camping) setup including stuff to enjoy a hot meal, a change of clothes for evenings, a spacious tent and wet weather gear. Avoid front panniers if you can, you will only go and put stuff in them. :facepalm: :D

Re:

I use a Vango Banshee 200 tent and I have to say it's perfect. Plenty of room yet small and light. I'm so confident in my statement that if I had the money I would buy you it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3z5adUoNPg

I use a number of stoves but the top three are my Trangia, a pressure multi fuel stove with a little pump on the side and a cheap and cheerful 'Highlander Stove' with gas can like the one below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-HPX100-M ... xy~dNTHgVT

As for plates and pans, I use cheap army mess tins. I've had them since the early nineties, testament to their ruggedness etc.

Buy a cheap spork, titanium if you're feeling flush but stainless steel is fine, I have both.

The only other thing I can highly recommend is the british army 24 hour ration pack, they are perfect for over nighter's. You don't need to take the whole pack but the contents are really good nowadays.

Paniers, Ortlieb Classic's, always. Pay the money and forget about your worries and your strife.

Thumbshifters or Gripshift.

Good quality tyres. Kevlar if you can.

Flat open pedals. DMR V8's are my choice.

Headtorch.

Nalgene water bottles and a bladder in your ruck sack.

Hip flask and a good book.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back