retro-pleasures ...

k-rod

Senior Retro Guru
Ah what an adventure - riding the wheels off an '89 Brodie Romax until the thing was falling apart, doing a frame-up resto on it in '98 ... and then logging another zillion kms on the thing until this, that, an the other things started waering out and going on it again.

I was going to either trash it, or rtade it in ... but everything new that I tried just didn't have that same ... je ne sais pas ... so, I took to fixing crap as the pieces went. Then, some young New Zealander bike mechanic at Ride On Again (on Broadway in Vanc) mentioned that "those old, original/handmade Brodies are now 'collector's items' and will fetch a small fortune" ...

So, I surfed around and lo-and-behold ... the dude was spot on (I had no idea there was a vintage/retro mountainbike community out there!!).

A phone call here, a used/beat up old R/M Vertex there (with a cracked frame) for parts scavenging, and off I go to the paint shop (Toxic Harald) with a totally stripped and very tired looking frame. Three weeks later, a bit of thought about a colour combo/design ... and here I am with a utility room full of near-new XT parts waiting to go on, and an absolutely gorgeously painted frame ready to go (Harald did a bang-up job - EXACTLY how I had hoped it would look!!).

'Cept becasue I'm trying to finish a HUGE/longgg project in a fairly short order, I decided to allow the paint to cure for about six weeks, before starting to bolt all the bits and goodies back onto the frame. I did take the frame out to show Mr. Brodie himself on the weekend (he held a show 'n shine at his frame building school location by the Abby Airport), and I'm all stoked up to finally see her finished and dressed by mid-July (or thereabouts).

Anyway ... she's been a fabulous ride, for the entire 26 years I've owned it (had it custom built for me-self back in '89), and soon enough the trusty Romax will be glittering and gleaming in the summer sunshine again!

But from now on - no hammering through any rough stuff ... just roads, sidewalks, and maybe the odd gravel pathway or two.

ps: how do ya add a photo on this forum?

Re:

Hi, I'm pretty sure that if it's survived 26 years of use & abuse then it'll survive many more to come, just get it out on the trails and enjoy it, a bike like the Romax belongs on the trails!

You can add pictures as attachments on this site (although you may have to resize the pics?), or you can use a photo hosting site like Flikr, Photobucket etc... and just copy and paste the
link into your post on here.

Yeah, I noticed the double post :LOL: , it'll probably disappear by itself, if not then a Moderator will be able to delete it.

Deleted for you

Re:

hi k-rod
welcome to the forum. another local. :)
I spoke with you out at the show.
I was the one with the black romax with curved gatorblade.

Jimo746 - oh it'll be ridden, regularily and lots ... but mostly 'urban assault' style riding (maybe some UBC endowment or Stanley Park trails), as I've a full-suspension steed for the more serious downhill escapades now.

And Retro_Roy - was nice to meet you, and to see some more wonderful vintage hardware and steel sparkling in the sunshine!

Re:

Here's one! Not sure how it looks as I've uploaded from my phone but I think it will look ok if you click on the image

Re:

Very nice indeed - can't beat a bit of contrast panelling in my eyes, looks classy as :cool:

Also utterly loving the look of this, is it your's or just a favourite?

eyvdZwG3j

Re:

Hi K-rod

Do you have some more pictures of that Brodie, must be fully build by now? Was this also the original colour?

Cheers, Bart

Back