Difference between modern Rigid MTB and Gravel

One funny thing was the instance of sales people on the difference being 700c or 29er. I think i blew the mind of one young chap when i got him to measure them after he insisted the 29" was much bigger!šŸ¤Æ

I think he though i had done some derren brown mind control on himšŸ˜‚.

Lots of people say that, but ive never not been clipped in off road......just enjoy the slides...it fun. Kinda rear wheel steer.....
I have knee issues so any bend or slide causes pain, so I don't like the risk of it going too far. Sliding around on inappropriate tyres on the other hand is great, just unclipped

Another thing we noticed was that all the "gravel bikes" have short head tubes, aka road bikes, making them too uncomfortable for distance or more importantly the older rider! Also im no fan of drops, so without fiddling that rules out a huge bunch of bikes.
But if you jump to the bikes coming from the 29er straight bar end of the scale, they are just that.....rigid 29ers! With all that slack geometry, tiresome massively oversized tyres and ponderous nature.

Theres also a lack of anything steel.....(unless you go marin 4 corners....which was made from lead as far as we could tell or possibly a soma Wolverine). Which seems odd, as for rigid off road its an ideal material for comfort and longevity.

In 2 days and hours of internet searching we found nothing interesting.....well i liked the 853 crois de fer, but even that has very limited tyre sizing and a small headtube length.

Tbh, we ended up back at the beginning with a specialized sirrus X3.0. Bigger headtube, clearance for 45mm tyres, sloping top tube for bail outs ( many have almost horizontal top tubes still....why i have no idea on an all road bike), deore kit, alluminium frame AND fork. Sale Ā£650.

Seems expensive to me, but it fits his bill and will do it all.....as well as a " do it all " bike can....

But is that the point....are we asking too much of one bike, when we have become so accustomed to bikes tailored to individual tasks? When you boil it down in a perfect gravel bike, we want road performance, long ride comfort, touring ability for packing a few bags, off road prowess, grip but no rolling resistance, agility, hill climbing and tyres that are wide enough but not too wide.šŸ˜‚

Reactions: Woz
Interesting reading this. Half heartedly looking for a new ā€œDoes Everythingā€ bike for the road. I am coming to the conclusion that it either doesnā€™t exist at all or, it already does in retro form. I was going to start a thread asking about disc brakes on road orientated bikes. I have seen videos of pros riding the latest team issue bike descending like Bambi on ice. Fading brakes seem to be to blame? True, I am unlikely to head down the kind of mountains they do at the speed they do. I am a good bit more chunky than them so will have more to stop on the other hand. My bike might well be loaded too.

My loose set of criteria are:

1. Metal frame. Either steel or titanium. Iā€™m not convinced glued soot is for me.
2. Hydraulic brakes (maybe).
3. Mechanical gears. At least 2 x or possibly 3 x. This is just me! I donā€™t like the dinner plate sprocket look. Also, most of my riding would be around here. I donā€™t need lower than 38 x 23.
4. Full set of braze ons. Touring, mudguards and at least two bottles.
5. Horizontal or close to it, top tube.
6. Tyre clearance for say, 38 max.

You can see my dilemma. Apart from the brakes, we have a high end traditional tourer in say 531ST. I happened to buy a copy of Cycling Weakly (printed just for me!) and in it was a brief review of a Fairlight Strael which I hadnā€™t heard of and ticks some of my boxes.

Is the gravel label something I should be looking at as well?

If you want more modern geometry, but a rigid bike that can run as a 29er so still ok on road there are decent options, brother bikes, stooge, surly etc

gravel label

Yes. It's probably easier to think of a gravel bike as a "cool" touring bike. One with a longer headtube, space for fatter tyres, longer wheelbase for stability and disc brakes.

There is, as discussed, plenty of variation within that but to my mind if you are buying a drop bar bike then a gravel version is the right answer for most leisure cyclists.

The Ribble gravel range is good, plenty of material options, steel, ally and ti.

Having looked at some of that steel on offer, I take it back...the marin 4 corners is a positive lightweight! What ever happened to decent steel tubesets and building with finesse!

At that point, just buy a 1991 pine mountain for Ā£30......its really no different.....oh hang on....that's what i didšŸ˜‚

And we are all the way back round! Yay.

Except you cant buy 26" narrow nobblies due to the man wanting 26" wheels gone and all those pesky frames with it......if you could, nobody would bother with their new bikes!

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed on Gravel bikes - which I honestly can not believe the utter stupidity of - is the down-tube cable routing. I can't believe the industry still can't get something like this right from the outset.

Kona Rove AL

Kona_Rove_AL_SE_schwarz.jpg

Back