Retro Gravel Bike build.

Re:

I struggle to use drop bars because of an elbow injury - if you don't mind forsaking the drop aerodynamic, Scott AT 2's or Brahma's can give that 'on the hoods' type position and you can just stick with MTB levers and shifters. They're wider than road bars so prob best to get the narrowest ones and maybe run a shorter stem.

I think the most important thing for big distances is a choice of hand positions - bar ends or something equivalent are very nearly as good as drops.

Re:

I think the most important thing for big distances is a choice of hand positions.

I agree, I did my first long-ish ride for some time last week and my legs and backside were fine, but my hands/wrists were getting uncomfortable at times and I would have liked some bar ends to give me an alternative hand position.

Trebz":mshe4yfp said:
FluffyChicken":mshe4yfp said:
Have a look at the On-One bars, I have the fleetly for a commuter and I've a nice relaxed riding.
But they do other style as well.

You mean this one:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOFPB/on- ... -handlebar

Yes but they were less than that at the time, prices seem to have gone up, doubled in a lot of cases. Still cheap though.
Check the others out (Midge, mary? check sizes, I've seen Gil and others using various types. Chris has some funny multiposition ones on his commuter thing too from somewhere :LOL:

Not an MTB obviously but mostly period with 1055 group, Araya rims, Tange headset, Nitto stem and bars, 35c Pasela tyres, Dia-Compe brakes and the obligatory frame pump.

pOKrMQTigR2WQIGEPbfwlYA-c-560vWNslEVoUtGl_u4i6szZ-ZEAM3RPjFjsHGRX9NoaYsXz8_-=w795-h775-no

Weight is in the hefty range but it cost about a quarter of the price of a new Specialized Diverge (which is aluminium - yuck!) even with a load of NOS stuff, plus it was built by our very own Dan Chambers.

Re:

to me the best oldish (almost retro) is a kona jake with straight bar conversion.stiff enough to be responsive light enough to be nimble and tough enough to take whats thrown at it. would be easy to service and a whole host of kit from bitd that will fit.it also looks good especially if you can drop on a grey one.

Back