Rescuing a Raleigh

Maybe. A mate still has the one I'm thinking of in his shed so I've texted him to look at the weekend :)

It'll be in the "racers" catalogue rather than the lightweights

Pionir":1iozwbza said:
Maybe. A mate still has the one I'm thinking of in his shed so I've texted him to look at the weekend :)

It'll be in the "racers" catalogue rather than the lightweights

That will be interesting to see what your mate says after he's checked ..

Yes i was wondering wether it would come under the racers catalogue ..

Whatever it is, it is a nice frame. Cinelli BB, looks like Cinelli through out (SC fork crown, seat lug head lugs). Does it have a bridge between the chain stays? You could be looking at something like the 8901 race model which was Reynolds 653 (similar to the Record Ace Moderne).

Re:

It does look very similar to the Ace Moderne,it has no bridge,the seat stay cluster is the same and so is the fork crown.Would be good to see it in a catalogue though.
I found one huge dent on the underside of the top tube at the rear,but its liveable with.The cable guids have rusted beyond use so will get them replaced.Then a respray and some decals.Will update as it goes.Oh yes and removing the seat pin and stem that are seized in.

Nice to see this being put back on the road and seen as their are hints of this bike being a Ace Moderne are you going to decal it up as that or just going down the plain frame look ? ..

Raleigh Aquilus is the one I'm thinking of and is the right colour, but the fork crown isn't quite right...

Pionir":2igubsh1 said:
Raleigh Aquilus is the one I'm thinking of and is the right colour, but the fork crown isn't quite right...

Well if their are signs of this paint finish inside the seat tube and head tube as such then this might of just been one of the early versions of the Aquilus or i'm more likely to believe that it's an older Raleigh that' been repainted in the Aquilus colour ..

But theirs no reason why you can't build it up as an Aquilus with those forks unless it will bother you ..

Re:

The Aquilus I can see is one of the cheep modern ones,tigg welded.No lugs,mudguard eyes and brake guides on the top rather than the side.The colour is right though.

Back