Removing decals - aaaargh!

I use wetwipes first to rub the decals thoroughly to moisten them and then carefully use a sharp very thin bladed tool . I know it sounds crazy but I have a very steady hand and am always really careful. I havent messed up yet and have done it many of times . You have to practice applying the perfect amount of pressure on tiny areas at a time so you are scratching at the decals and not the paint .There is a point where the decals give up and then seem to flake off with just the wetwipes. Like I said always worked for me but it is a risk if you havent practiced.

Re: Re:

gil_m":2cqwxvm6 said:
Sounds like you are getting them too hot if the glue is separating from the vinyl print

Use a more general heat, working in a larger area rather than just the area you are working and learn to release the tension in the decal, pull a little bit then release the tension, then go at it again, repeating this method

All decals are not made the same, as they get older they will break up when you try and remove them, scratches and chips will make it hard, attack these areas from a couple of different angles, that should make it easier

Good luck

I got em all off in the end - it was mostly the top tube one that was a nightmare. The glue had gone very weird - almost like two layers. The stuff directly under the vinyl softened ok, but the under layer, even softened with heat was like a very thin layer of chewing gum. After a lot of rubbing with cotton wool and acetone it eventually cleaned off!

Back