Removing a stuck headset race

ishaw":1plui2q8 said:
tIB":1plui2q8 said:
Dremel and an extremely careful/steady hand!
Tried that. The hardened steel of the bearing race wore out the tool completely.

Damn- the diamond discs are a little better if you haven't already tried.

Can you not get something in where dint in head tube is on picture and just work your way round the race bending it in until you get all way round? Looks like that's the place you tried with dremel? I would try a hack saw blade to cut through remaining part of race if you aren't already through it and do what I said previously. Just nibble away at it until you can get pliers or something on it to pull it out.
Failing that try using a head set reducer to 1 1/8" and see if you can make that work.

The pic was taken before I'd attempted anything. Looking at the top of the head tube, I think I can see evidence of removal via dremel so whatever the headset was, it was the same top and bottom.

I'd tried various things with the tools available, but with so little of the race to hit or pry, I returned to the dremel and a larger grinding stone.

A steady hand later I'd managed to create a big gap in the crown race but it still would not budge.

I decided to do the same to the opposite side of the crown race, as much as I dared as I didn't want to damage the frame, and finally after getting it quite thin, a bit of gentle prying with a screwdriver and success:

Now that it's out, I'm wondering if someone hadn't actually pushed in some sealed bearings, as what's come out is nothing like any headset I've come across, maybe someone trying to create their own integrated headset?

Attachments

• 2016-08-30 18.49.01.jpg
    2016-08-30 18.49.01.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 391
Back