New headset standards and existing tools?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, new frame with 1 1/8 to 1.5 zs 56mm lowe cup has rendered existing tools useless on them.

My headset press fittings are too small for the lower cup (and to be honest, with a Chris king and non-removable bearings puts pressure on the inner bearing race which isn't cool).

My brown race setting tool is also no good over a tapered steerer.

Frustrating.

Anyone got any tips, homebrew ideas or even just plain buy this, it will solve your problems suggestions.

I've worked around my woes, I found a massive washer that I used to fir the lower cup using my existing headset fitting tool, but it wasn't anywhere near ideal.

Similarly, I fitted the fork race by getting creative, bb386 Evo cup tool was wider than the raised edges of the race, so that and a rubber mallet got the job done, though I prefer to use the right tools and would love suggestions for this, or a home brew option that isn't such a bodge.

Lastly, as it's a king headset I shouldn't have to worry, but I've been using a custom steel 'blade' when removing fork races. Always done the job but I'm sure there is a better tool for this task.

When pressing in King headsets I use the crown race on the top and bottom cups, works a treat.

Had a 1 1/8th press I “converted” for tapered. For the 1.5 bottom cup I used an old shelf from an IKEA cd unit. Used a hole cutter the match the size of the tool. Shelf fitted over this and gave a big area for pressing in without damaging cup.

Thanks, that's kind of what I achieved with the washer. As king bearings are recessed I was only putting pressure on the outer cup. It was a bit of a faff though as the centre of the washer was way bigger than the rod, so moved about a bit. The proper fittings slot nicely in the bearing cups, ideally I'd like to buy or make something that fits the same way as they help keep the cup aligned as it presses in. I managed to bend the washer despite it being fairly sturdy. Maybe as the frame was new the fit was very tight?

It's in now so that's cool.

What is the tool of choice for pushing the fork race into place? I suspect the answer is pipe.

Speaking of pipe, I know there's no way my removal tool will work on such a large cup. I'm hoping the bike will be a keeper but that said, aside from buying another tool, what other options are there for 56mm cup removal?

Last edited:
There are a ton of ways to fit a crown race but (short of a proper tool and the difference isn't much anyway) the best way is definitely a pipe/tube of correct dimensions. I used to drift them on with a blunt chisel but now that I've sorted tubes its so much easier.

The few tapered headsets I've worked on have all had split crown races, so no difficulty seating them or removing them.

Back