RBotM May - Campagnolo! - nominations now open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2k6frli3 said:
A private 10, nob?
E72?

Lovely bike btw

This was near to Aberdeen on the then newly opened Laurencekirk by pass. I'd measured out a 3 mile out 7 mile back course if I remember correctly as I had to go through the town itself so it was early on Sunday Morning & always windy & exposed. Recorded a 19.49. Purely a private trial & used this course of mine for several speed training sessions. The bike felt fast back then :)

Re:

Chapeau! As Duffers would have said!

Are there many tts in camel land?

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2xzr9dsm said:
Chapeau! As Duffers would have said!

Are there many tts in camel land?

Riyadh Wheelers hold some TT's but that's like 1hr flight or 5hr drive. http://riyadhwheelers.com/

Roads are not safe for cycling unless you go in an organized bunch & have a following car as no one here respects cyclists what so ever on the roads...........

Re:

Sounds like fun! :facepalm:

But you must get an amazing cycling tan.
Please, no pictures! :LOL:

My '72 Cinelli Speciale Corsa. Started as a very sorry frame with two coats of bad paint - refinished and then rebuilt period correct. All components ended up 1972 NOS apart from one item (which still causes me many sleepless nights) In keeping with this month’s theme the Campagnolo Nuovo Record/Record components are the jewellery.

While most of my bikes are Campy equipped this will always be THE Campagnolo bike in my collection. It was my first vintage bike project and my road to discovering the subtleties of Campagnolo of this era was long and challenging. I think I replaced every one of the component at least once as I learnt more and discovered I had fitted the 1971 or 1973 version.

pics by Andy White

Thanks guys, we are steadily building up to a very impressive month so far :)
Nob, you were the first person that came to mind when I was putting this theme up :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2eizgpig said:
Thanks guys, we are steadily building up to a very impressive month so far :)
Nob, you were the first person that came to mind when I was putting this theme up :)

Jamie

That's an Honour Jamie so thank you as I could have put up my other special project but decided to go with the bike that I set all my PB's on back in the 80's.

1973 Gazelle Champion Mondial with Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport

With some exquisite bikes up for nominations already there’s got to be losers as well. :LOL:
So here is my 1973 Gazelle Champion Mondial with Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport.

The frame is a 1973 Champion Mondial that differs from the more common late-seventies frames in a number of ways. First of all, the distinctive butterfly brake bridge has only two cutouts instead of six. The Bocama lugs also differ from later ones. The frame still has its original paint and decals as the Gazelle on the seat tube jumps towards the drive side as opposed to the later and reproduction decals that have it jumping towards the NDS. The frame lost its Reynolds 531 decals. These were put on top of the clear coat and are often at least partly missing after 40+ years. It further appears that Gazelle decided to drop its distinctive alloy badge in 1973 as this is one of several frames from around that time that I have seen that has a simple foil decal. Fortunately they reversed that decision the same year…

Except for the derailleurs and chainset that I specifically sourced for the build, the rest of the bike is made up of parts I picked up along the way.

I particularly like the utilitarian looks of the Nuovo G.S. group set. Especially the early rear derailleur with the flat, enscripted hexagon bolts reflects this crude quality.

The bike is not entirely G.S. equipped though and not entirely period correct either, but it was done consciously. I found a Nuovo G.S. pushrod front derailleur somewhat more suited for a touring bike and went for a slightly later Nuovo Valentino parallelogram FD instead. Again, I like its simple, functional looks. As for the brakes, I did not want center pull brakes on this one. Period correct side pulls would include Universals model 68 or Weinmann 500 but I much prefer the quality of the G.S. brakes over those. I realise the G.S. brakes only appeared some 5 years later around 1977-1978 but went for them nonetheless.

I had already decided on the Burgundy handlebar tape but matching brake cable proved hard to find. I eventually found some at the latest Stalen Ros jumble that matches it perfectly.

1k0.jpg

720.jpg

more pictures here

1984 Pinarello Montello - Cromovelato Aqua Blue with Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Groupset

This time round I was after a bike with original cromovelato finish, full rear triangle in chrome and chromed lugs. It took 3 years of searching to find this one in my size. When I found it on German eBay I ended up having to fly to Berlin to collect it as the seller would not post... anyway it was worth it.

There were a number of challenges on the way and these can be read on the build thread on Retro Bike

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 1#p2557671

I am pleased with the way it has come out and there are a few chosen deviations.

- All the black rubbers on the brakes have been subbed for original white from a C Record Group
- The usual black cable housing for a 50th set has been replaced with NOS C Record housings
- The gold 50th brake nuts have been subbed for Cobalto nuts; but not the standard nuts as they have a very dark green/blue colour; these ones came with the bike and clearly back in the day the owner has changed the colour of the "jewels" in the nuts
- I have used a panto'ed PINARELLO C Record seat post in place of the 50th one; just because I think it looks nicer
- I have used a special NOS 50th decal over the standard one
- I have used a 50th panto'ed stem which I have repainted in a blue to match the frame
- The gum hoods have been replaced with NOS white hoods

************************/images/montello/blue/720-jpgs/blue-montello-2.jpg

First ride ...

************************/images/montello/blue/on-the-road/first-ride-720.jpg

50th / Cobalto breaks ...

************************/images/montello/blue/720-jpgs/blue-montello-rear-brake.jpg

Rare 50th panto'ed stem

************************/images/montello/blue/720-jpgs/blue-montello-stem.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back