rBoTM RBotM October 2023 -Poll Now Up - Vote Now!!!!!

road Bike of The Month

RBotM October 2023

• Nabequam - 1960's Diamant

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • dutchie - 1976 Mercier

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • PSimpson - 1974 Freddie Grubb Galibier

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the replies, really helpful.
So for now we will run as is and seen as how there is only this months and December to go we will run these months regardless how many entries, my own opinion is that those who enter shouldn’t be penalised by those who don’t. Though I do hear what people are saying so for 2024 we will carry over the entries from one month to the following month if we have less than 5 entries?? Does that sound fair?
I think if everybody knows that before you enter then that’s fair.
I agree with Woz in that the prizes issue is problematic and were for specific themes and while they were good, I don’t think people entered because of them.
I also think everyone knows about the competition by now and I do sometimes go and mention it elsewhere, but everyone knows it finishes the last day of the month.
There is more than enough bikes/frames here but most aren’t bothered and that’s fine, we are all different, I have also been told it’s not concourse enough but the that would probably exclude people like myself who build riders. Hard to please everyone but maybe it’s not at the right level, judging by the numbers, but my own thought is if aimed at the collection side of things, that the interest would wane and be back where we are.
It is about boosting interest as the bike numbers are there. As an example, go to readers ride section, have a rough count how many threads per page, now go to the bottom of the page and see how many pages 😳
We only need a tiny percentage of that to be interested for it to be huge each month 🙂
Jamie
Good compromise, hopefully this discussion will stimulate more interest. I would hate if it became about perfect restoration, I like bikes that show a few knocks and bruises.

When I vote, I look at what I'd be riding with a smile on my face. So concourse is out, unless it's really special, say a TdF replica, where I appreciate the work and dedication that's gone into it. I also draw the line at brifters, so usually reject those, unless I see the work that has gone into it behind the scenes. And I reject the real early 20rh cent stuff, but can be swayed if there's an emotional or restorational story behind it.

Don't want to detract from the entries, but I think such a discussion is healthy. In fact, being here for a while, at a guess, I think the entrants would support such a discussion.

I think we all vote for different reasons, and I don't think we can get a full reasoning why, but that isn't the hiccup we have actually - attractiveness to enter in the first place is. While I think fingers can be pointed to members, I think fingers can be pointed to management too. I know what I've just said is not nice and I really want this to be an objective discuss and absolutely not about measuring grams who puts effort in to make it all happen. I appreciate all effort, and please bear with me....

On one side, we have those who possess a bicycle in what ever state. Who do the effort, time, investment and document. What is hindering them to enter a competition with the aim to share the love of their bike?

On one side, those who possess a forum to facilitate and promote said competition for BOTH entrants and voters, with equally and presumably an aim to share for the love bicycles has a whole - I'm actually struggling a bit to see effort, time, investment and document.

A rBoTM with only two entries and one vote each? @The History Man - your idea of roll over makes sense but sadly is not solution. It almost accepts a decline without a follow-up nor corrective action. A solution is a turn-around, I would think you would know that too. I remain unaltered, it's about attractiveness and being unexclusive is a more suitable path. I would hate to see this part of the forum for the handful of entrants just for the same handful to vote amongst themselves.

The road section, I feel, is so unique because it doesn't have the time constraints of the MTB section. We can witness the birth of cycling to top class competitive machines - and most things in-between. The geographical base is enormous too. I'm aware of what I'm saying is not all pretty. I'm aware too I could be told to go elsewhere. I'm aware too I have potentially ruffled feathers.

The bottom line for me, a straight question was asked by Jamie, and I'm giving a straight answer with an objective to improve.

Encouraging and promoting everyone and their bikes from newbies dusting off something found in the shed to stalwarts acquiring unicorns I believe should be a pillar to what we are about - should be be supported from the top to the bottom and side ways.

My suggestion was more pragmatic than permanent. Site seems to be far more sales than builds these days and far less of both than a few years ago. The road section was always quieter but had regular contributions and contributors. rbotm has always been a pleasure with far more of a mixed bag of builds, stories and many other variables leading to a winner, rather than purely the pristine.

I don’t frequent some of the other platforms the RB brand is available on but always will consider this to be the site that all roads should lead to and be well signposted elsewhere. Perhaps then more entries would be forthcoming.

@Woz not sure where you actually think this should go, but judging from the entries in the rbotm of this year, there have been a few months with lots of participants, and others with three or four. I am inclined to view this as a reality and so long as there are three entries as a minimum, I think a competition is worth it. What could be improved in my opinion is the amount of publicity given to the rbotm. I would love it if the rbotm was more visible on the homepage, like the botm is. I mean, the january 2022 botm is still on the homepage, surely there is some room for a winning road bike or two?

@Woz not sure where you actually think this should go, but judging from the entries in the rbotm of this year, there have been a few months with lots of participants, and others with three or four. I am inclined to view this as a reality and so long as there are three entries as a minimum, I think a competition is worth it. What could be improved in my opinion is the amount of publicity given to the rbotm. I would love it if the rbotm was more visible on the homepage, like the botm is. I mean, the january 2022 botm is still on the homepage, surely there is some room for a winning road bike or two?
I think three is ok too, more visible would also be good. I love bikes but we're not just an mtb site. It would be nice to see a road bike on the front page for a change.

Hi all
Good to see a bit of discourse or discussion over the competition.
This has been an issue a few times over the last few years. It has also been the reason where in the past couple of years the competition has skipped the odd month, maybe it looked a bit random or as though it had been forgotten but it wasn't. Have been doing it a few years now and you can see the pattern where there is a boom month or two and then it tails off which is where I would think, OK lets rest it for a month and then see where we are.
This year I have tried to do as I said earlier in the year and run it each month regardless. It has been a great year with only one or two months that have low entry numbers but high quality entries like this month. My opinion is it's the quality not the numbers.
MY thoughts on it are that if avoidable, I wouldn't want to carry over entries as those that have entered have made the effort, also to enter on time.
I have tried various themes and always really grateful for ideas, we have tried to do every second month a theme but when numbers start declining, themes don't always help because we are then reducing the pool to draw from, though most entries still came from the small pool of supporters.
I tried prizes for a while and we had some really cool prizes for a short while but a change in work at the time meant I really didn't have the time to devote to it. I have thought of doing it again and maybe trying to find someone who might sponsor it, but very hard to do for a prize for such a varied background of cycling interest. I thought about maybe a Chain Reaction type voucher each month and see how that goes and then maybe ask them for help with it. I once thought of an Amazon voucher but was told that some people may be against that, to be honest when we did put the prizes from Bob on here like the Huret T shirt etc and when Reynolds sponsored the Reynolds Tubing month and Mike Jane won their T shirt it certainly helped those months, as I think the Reynolds one was huge from memory, but overall a lot of those supporters drifted away. Maybe it is time to look at that again, but it is hard to keep that fresh and I much prefer to do it with something cycling related rather than a voucher, though a cycling book. I did once have the idea that I would buy a stack of interesting, good condition second hand cycling books, diverse range from touring to marque specific to technical and then each month the winner would get a random, unknown until it arrived, book. If you didn't like it or already had it, then pass it on :)
So after that long ramble which doesn't really help with anything other than distract from this months competition, so apologies, it is to say that I do try and think of ways to keep it fresh and interesting but have been doing it for many years and am aware that I may be missing something fresh and obvious. It is Retrobike members competition so it goes in the direction you want. So any ideas for themes etc just drop me a message.
I think we keep going each monthly until the end of the year and then see where we are when we review for bike of the year. Maybe I will dig up some prize or such for that one ;)
Thanks for the support

Jamie
I live in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. In these parts road bicycles and those who ride them are almost extinct. There are mountain bikes everywhere. In the spring, before the trails are snow free, the local bike club has road rides. We get 2-3 road bikes and 15 mountain bikes. In the spring another club has gravel rides on Monday evenings. There are only 3 rides in this series before everyone returns to the dried out trails. The Thursday evening road ride gets 5-6 riders, the Wednesday night mountain bike ride gets around 40 riders, sometimes more. The Sunday morning ”church ride“ gets around 15. Sixty miles away another club has a summer century ride (100 K) and about half the bikes are mountain bikes. The population is pretty small where my bike club is. I’m wondering if this phenomenon is the same almost everywhere? If it is it could account for the low interest, could be not as many people collect road bikes anymore? I like retro bike uk because there are so many road bike posts. Because of this I’m surprised there aren’t more entries.

Last edited:
Well done Mr PSimpson and that very sweet Freddie Grubb. I am sure everyone here will join me in saying congratulations on another fine win.

It may have been a low entry month but it was high on quality, so thank you all who entered and voted, as usual it is much appreciated.
Thank you also to everyone who has joined in the discussion to help move the RBotM competition forward with new ideas etc. While I hope it hasn't distracted from this months competition, this months comp was a good catalyst to get the discussion started. It was certainly constructive and was conducted in a nice manner, so definitely lets keep it going.

Jamie

Back