Raw Alu Klein Pinnacle

@futuristicoldman - now there's a thought - an anodised Klein!

I'm already starting to imagine an entire stable of Kleins in my head... One raw, one anodised, one dolomite.... oh dear... At least I'm in good company on this site!

Talking about refitting bits and bobs you've reminded me about the press fit BB. Mine needed replacing and Reset Racing promised me they were making a small run of their version of the Klein BB tool (which I have never seen on eBay in two years of looking!). I was gutted when they came back and told me they've given up on making them due to lack of demand.

So then I checked out some DIY methods that people have posted online which looked reasonably complex and which also seemed to require some bespoke metal parts created especially for the job.

In the end I managed to remove the old bearings and install the new ones with some strategically placed planks and one of those giant wooden mallets. I wouldn't like to use that method too many times on the same frame though 'cos I'm sure you'd damage it eventually. I would be considerably more nervous about whacking an Adroit frame with a mallet too!!!

Despite being such a crude approach I was surprised how well it worked in the end and also how accurately I was able to align the axle properly once it was in there...

Im new on here and have a 91/92ish Klein pinnacle as well. Will you eventually polish it out. To use your own words the finish does look kind of crude. I had an old Kona I wanted to polish out and I have seen people polish these bikes to an almost shine so I was just thinking out loud. Will you take another stab at it?

@ Slammin - I'll improve the finish but I don't think I'll go for the full polished mirror shine effect. I'm sure it would look amazing but I like the fact that this kind of 'satin' effect is more unusual. In the two close up pics at the bottom you can see that the finish on the seat stays is still a bit scratchy but I've had a better go at finishing the main tubes and these look almost completely smooth in comparison, just by using a really fine grade of wet and dry paper.

Looking at the pics again I reckon the cranks need a bit of TLC too...

Very cool bike mate, I think it looks awesome!

Just a word of warning though, make sure your seatpost is in further than where to top tube meets the seat tube...... A mate of mine snapped the protruding bit of the set tube off one of these frames because his seatpost wasn't in far enough....

WOW...I'm with Mark on this one..I'm not a Klein fan in any way, just don't get it!...But this looks awesome, it looks like its begging to be ridden.

Love it.

:cool:

@ benbonty - yep, your right. I'm a sucker for a small frame but it's a 400mm post, nice and long - took a while before the right one turned up - it's just long enough!

@misteroo - thanks man! - don't worry, this one still gets and has gotten a decent amount of abuse - I bought it when I was 17 - I'm 35 now - we must have done thousands of miles together :)

Mind you - my body's not quite as elastic as it once was so the full susser often gets preference these days :roll:

Back