Raleigh Flyer

HillmanImp":s8ow7nik said:
I had thought that this was a simple question but obviously not. Can someone point me in the direction of someone who might be able to help or a website that can explain this? What I have seen so far is suggesting that I look at the rim width which is smaller than 27 1/14. I want to make sure I have the right wheels before I spend the money.

So my wheel seems to be 25 1/2 inches in diameter. The tyre says 27x1/14 and that seems to be the diameter to the outside of the tyre.

Sheldon Brown's Tire Sizing Systems might help you out.

If your wheels comfortably take a tire that is 27x1 1/4 then that should be the tire you get. Wheels that take tires marked 27x1 1/4 are indeed approximately 25 1/2 inches in diameter (yesterday I took a 27" tire off one wheel to put onto another wheel (rim marked ETRTO 630x17 & 27x1 1/4 - tire a perfect fit) and have just confirmed the diameter of the donor wheel.)

I guess there's too much confusion between tire size (which most people quote) and the actual wheel size. If you're buying the tire from your LBS take along your old tire for some piece of mind as they'd never want to send you away with the wrong item. Or if ordered online lay the new tire on top of the old tire before attempting to fit it just to be sure you've got the right size.

Thanks for replying. I think I am happy that I get the rims based upon the tyre size. So I will look for some wheels that are 27 x 1 1/4. That was basically where I was unsure. I am probably going to have to order them online as I am having no luck finding some with 120mm rear spacing at the local shops (but will try Crosstrax tomorrow).

I hindsight I could have just looked at my MTB wheels which despite being 26" are only 22.5" but at least I am sure now.

Thanks

Scotty

Back