Raleigh Clubman (80s) advice needed

I've been searching online and all of the Saxon sprints i've found have no details about them and have been on for sale articles that have ended however i guess you've seen this one on the link ;

http://www.rollquick.co.uk/wp-content/u ... -45-36.jpg

It appears to be of 1970's origin and definitely of the sports bike class not racer and 5 speed but in my opinion seems to be well made and would make an excellent commuter as my 1st bike i bought cheap off my brother was very similar and was made around 79 and i rode for miles on it and loved every minute of it so if the Saxon does have the Reynolds 531 tubing then i'd put some second hand modern wheels with 1x7 gears and use it as a commuter ;) ..

Well their wasn't any real serious damage to my 88 Explorer back in 89 when you were 1 :LOL: and i did get it fixed ;) but being able to use friction did save time but yes you learning to ride bike at a time that friction shifters were no longer being put on bikes will make them seem alien to you now but as long as you remember that friction was like the daddy before sis came along ;)..

Yes i've seen quite a few ss Saxons online and they look pretty good so that's always an easy option but like you say the Raleigh is the important one atm so lets get a move on ;) :LOL: ..

Re:

Nice bike the Clubman more Audax than all out touring but with the right bits would make a nice tourer. Just to clear up the two holes it is the fitting for the later cast head badge rather than the pressed metal badge which as you say had three holes.

Re:

Been trying to reply for a couple of days but kept getting an error message. Apparently putting smileys on from your phone doesn't work.

I've had another look at the saxon sprints and the reynolds 531 was a different type of saxon I saw online and had mis read it. Dunno what steel my saxon is. I'll have a look at doing it as a commuter.

And thanks for the reply about it being an Audax. I think I'll go down the light tourer/road bike route as I'll not be doing loads of touring but when I do it will be a weekend away type of thing. I've got 2 young daughters so I think the wife would kill me if I kept disappearing on my bike.

I only use my net book as i can't get online with my phone but i have used the mrs samsung tab before which also comes up with error if i try using the smileys off the tab ..

Oh well we all slip up at some point when checking online so it maybe just plain steel tubing but their again it could be plain gauge 531 which would be a bit weighty any way but given time some one might just come up with the relevant info and surprise you ..

I have seen a few ss Saxon sprints online so obviously they can't be that heavy or people wouldn't want to bother with them so yours should turn out as a pretty good commuter ..

Well maybe when the kids are older they may want to go out for rides with you so who knows you just might end up doing more cycling than you expect especially if you can get your mrs into it and sorting your clubman as a light tourer seems perfect from what you've said and should make for a real nice ride mate ..

Re:

I think I'm going to take all of the components off the saxon at the weekend and see what the weight the frame is compared to the raleigh. It might not be so heavy after all.

My oldest daughter is 3 and I've got her a bike already with stabilisers and she loves it. There's loads of cycle paths round here so I'll start taking her on those once she's better at pedalling. Getting my wife to start cycling is another matter. She's not bothered about it at all. I'll need to use my powers of persuasion and I'll hopefully change her mind.

Now your talking mate ;) as i had thought about the frame weight without the parts but i hadn't thought of comparing the Saxon and Raleigh frames together as their is a fair chance theyll weigh the same plus you could tap the main tubes with a small screw driver to see if they sound similar provided the weight of each feels similar then you'll have a better idea of what you've got although thinking about it my old Dawes felt a bit weighty but rode very nicely and that was plain gauge 501 tubing and not all 501 tubed bikes are labeled as such ..

It looks to me " fingers crossed " that your 3 year old daughter maybe a cyclist in the making and if your other little follows suit then your mrs may agree to join in for family rides ;) ..

Back