racing a singlespeed

spearmint

Dirt Disciple
Hello gods of retro knowledge. I’m after some advice.

I’ve decided to start a bit of xc racing mostly as a definite goal to aim for so i can get fit. So in my over zealousness I’ve entered the marin dusk till dawn 12 hour race at Thetford forest in October (four man team as i’m not stupid enough to do it solo).

I am intending to use my 1993 kilauea which is currently set up as a rigid singlespeed (No retro goodness though it’s all modern kit).

So my questions are these:

Forks. should i swap to suspension forks from my P2s to save my wrists from exploding? and if so does anyone know of a modern lightweight short travel v brake compatible fork with an axle to crown height thats not going to turn the geometry into something more akin to a DH bike. I believe the 93 kilauea originally came with a P2 with an axle to crown height of 390mm. Everything i’ve managed to find so far is around 450mm.

Gears. Should i fit some? And could i get away with a 9 speed dura ace road block on the back with with a short cage road mech and just run a single front ring (36 tooth). I’m not the fittest man in the world.

Course. Having not been to Thetford I’m sitting here thinking it’s going to be easy as it’s in Norfolk so it must be flat. Am i totally wrong and am i going to die?

Thanks all.

Ps. Sorry for modernising the bike but most of the bits were a little the worse for wear when i bought it and i hadn’t discovered this site then.

Forks. should i swap to suspension forks from my P2s to save my wrists from exploding? and if so does anyone know of a modern lightweight short travel v brake compatible fork with an axle to crown height thats not going to turn the geometry into something more akin to a DH bike. I believe the 93 kilauea originally came with a P2 with an axle to crown height of 390mm. Everything i’ve managed to find so far is around 450mm.

you could consider some AMP forks and then you're still retro :D

You'll be fine on SS at Thetford - gear slightly higher than normal offroad MTB 2:1 though as there are no significant hills.

Personally I'd fit some suspension forks - the forest trails are pretty hardpacked most of the year and the roots and 'roller' sections can leave your hands a bit numb after a few hours!

Forget forks and go for a girvin flexstem, looks retro, saves wrists and does not mess with frame geometry.
Besides if riding single speed it almost seems blasphemous to complicate the bike again with suspension forks !

Cheers

i don't know if you have a full suspension bike? i can't spend more than three hours on my hardtail. Yes use gears i like 2*9 setups, and definitly through a a shock on the front.

Think i may try and get hold of some 63mm SIDS which shouldn’t have to much of a detrimental effect on the geometry. Leave it singlespeed at the moment and get myself up to Thetford and give it a go.

Anymore advice on any of the above or racing for 12 hours through the night would be gratefully received.

Oh and if anyone has any sids they would like to part with please pm me.

Thetford is reasonably flat but endurance races are a completely different regardless of gradient! I'd suggest a 32/18 ratio and definitely a sus fork just to ease the pain of riding for that long. A good comfy saddle is a must, as is several pairs of shorts!

doing it in a team of 4 so it shouldn't be too bad (hopefully).

I assume the best tactics are to do a lap as fast as possible then back to the pits for a well deserved rest and send the next rider out. supposedly should be about 12 mile lap.

all i need to do now is lose about 2 stone, give up smoking, cut down on drinking and train like the wind. God this is going to be difficult.

Teams are a lot easier, I did a D2D solo on a rigid SS. Hurt like the proverbial... Do a lot of endurance training, and prepare to hurt really bad. A good pit team is essential.

I think the pit team is going to consist of 3 people who aren't riding looking bemused at a broken bike while holding hammers and randomly flicking backwards and forwards through a park tools bike repair book.

Back