Question about Shimano compatible cassette sprocket and spacer thickness for a given speed

Could try a go between like SJS or Spa cycles, both TA sellers.

Probably out on a lunch break or something...
I contacted Spa - not very helpful
Doesn’t matter as TA to their credit confirmed what the German site said - 0.95mm x 6 and 0.5mm x 1. Ok, I bought 6x 1mm spacers but I think the difference between 5.7mm and 6mm won’t make any difference to shifting!

Just an update - I installed the 1mm spacers and a 0.5mm spacer - which I bought from eBay.
Great stuff as all is well and perfect
Thanks guys
4209C718-5267-4ED1-9DC8-E7CECB53F2FA.jpeg

Is it just me, but is looks like it'll bind when it goes in the frame?
Could be the angle.

It also looks like a 11T lock ring, see if you have a thinner 12Tlockring (any steel Shimano from a non compact cassette.
Will not look as good, but would work better.

But it also looks a shame to damage the ano and rub a chain and dirt over it.

Nice.

Could be the angle.

It also looks like a 11T lock ring, see if you have a thinner 12Tlockring (any steel Shimano from a non compact cassette.

Nice.
That’s interesting - the lock ring hasn’t been tightened - just temporarily screwed it in with fingers so I’ll see if when tightening - but I’ll see when I do and that’s the lock ring which came with it - it seems to be the standard one for it but it does look chunky but I have a shimano 12T one and will try both - thanks again! And this is the derailleur I’ll be pairing it with
CFCCE3A7-39F9-44AC-8F4D-655F2B9CC8D6.png AF340088-1BF3-4250-A56D-FC2FCC9E4450.jpeg F20E80D8-A576-47DB-9486-209CD77BFC05.jpeg

Last edited:
Could be the angle.

Nice.
you were right - it binds
i think i have a 12T lockring but whats difference between the thickness of the two?
I had a problem before anyweay, the chain used to rub against the drop outs when in lowest cog - is my axle too short?

you were right - it binds
i think i have a 12T lockring but whats difference between the thickness of the two?
I had a problem before anyweay, the chain used to rub against the drop outs when in lowest cog - is my axle too short?

Looks to me like you are missing a spacer behind the locknut. There is way too much thread showing and looks as much as a dropout is thick.
I reckon the axle is ok but the OLN is some mm shorter than 135mm, or 130mm, or 126mm. It is a wonder that the QR is actually doing anything!

If i am right you can then use whatever lockring you like and the small cog wont saw through the chainstay :)

Looks to me like you are missing a spacer behind the locknut. There is way too much thread showing and looks as much as a dropout is thick.
I reckon the axle is ok but the OLN is some mm shorter than 135mm, or 130mm, or 126mm. It is a wonder that the QR is actually doing anything!

If i am right you can then use whatever lockring you like and the small cog wont saw through the chainstay :)
Thank you !
Any help appreciated - what kind of spacer and where should it go and how should it be fit please ?
I’m pretty clueless

It will be something like a 3mm washer that fits behind the locknut on that end of the axle. Am guessing from the photo. Maybe there is a schematic of your hub on the net or a member here who can tell you what spacers you need where.

What is the other end like?

If it has less thread showing then add the difference to the cassette side and check the length across the locknuts. You can do this on paper without taking the hub apart.

Please supply more information about hub.

You probably already know this, but I would have thought that 0.95mm spacers would be impossible to find.

Last edited:
Please supply more information about hub.

You probably already know this, but I would have thought that 0.95mm spacers would be impossible to find.
If you mean spacers for the cassette SJS sell 0.95 but but £6 each
i didnt think the 0.3mm would be noticeable
ill take a look at the hub today and take some measurements

Latest posts

Back