Q Factor, quack quack..

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":29bbup22 said:
mattr hmmmm up to a point Lord Copper. The Quads are huge muscles, and the energy is transmitted to the bike through the knees down to the pedals. I think Q has an impact on knees too - I think it should all be seen as a linked system....which article/paper are you referring to? I'd be interested in reading it if you have a moment to put up the reference.

OK...someone had to do it:

The ankle bone's connected to the...shin bone
The shin bone's connected to the....knee bone
The knee bones' connected to the......thigh bone
Think the best way to describe it would be a second order effect, and no, i've not got the paper, was just something i found deep in the the darkest recesses of the internet while trying to sort my issues out.

Re:

My kind of post.

I still love my m900 setup, with arms and rings just that few mm away from the frame, as it should be.
Not the SLX HT2 cranks where the chains, you finger and half the world can fit through the gaps.of the arms (rings is cheating as they are tiny things now, even in triples).

and of course proper catalogues like http://www.bikepro.com/products/cranks/cranks.html always measured Q-factor (though always neglected to tell you bottom bracket length, which would be useful 25 years later).

But look at that table
http://www.bikepro.com/products/cranks/crank_table.html

I switched the Kindle off a bit early last night and on again a bit late today, so there was alternative reading to the paper for me today- splendid..
Yes matt, I know inside leg is not the be-all of crank selection, but I'm not sure the femur is that much more useful, it's all about starting somewhere close. And Q may affect the movementts that the knee has to make, depends on the specimen. And that's the crux, I think- we're adapting a fuzzy, floppy and f*cked up life form (I mean homo sapiens) to a machine.
Oranges, I thought I'd quoted "Dem Bones", but checked and not on this thread anyway.Maybe dreamt it. Wouldn't be surprised.
Yes Fluffy, they presumably used some standard bb to measure the relative Q, or maybe they changed the bb for a standard chainline and then measured the Q. Either way, they could have said.

Oops, sorry, Freudian slip, I meant we're adapting a machine to homo sapiens. Works both ways I guess. Like a lot of things.

Latest posts

Back