Pulling Wheels Out

Big_Jon_93":38bb24na said:
mdvineng":38bb24na said:
The curse of powder coatings by the look of it, always too thick.

What would you do if you were in my position then?

Sand it down almost to bare metal in the relevant area and use a little thin coat of touch up paint.

I once raced a Manx Norton in the Isle of Man for someone that had restored it, powder coated frame and Magnesium wheel spacers allowed the wheel to lose tension and slip sideways after 3 miles of first practice, nice crash. So when he wasn't looking I did the sand and repaint, fixed. I met the owner a few years later and told him what I had done, he said "no worries, I would of done the same, if it was my life on the line"

Re:

I would carefully take the paint off where the wheel clamps the drop outs. Carefully with a knife, cut around the outside of where the axle clamps, then take it back to bare metal

Muz

Re:

Just take the bloody paint off. The QR does look a bit chewed up so you maybe losing something there as well but I have used worse.

I took the paint off. Still pulled the wheel out.

I then adjusted the cones on the spindle and haven't pulled it out so far. I will do some load testing and see if I can pull it out with leg power. But is looking hopeful.

Bit annoyed, should of checked the width of the drop outs, and gap between the quick release and cone.

Back