wheel axle size too small

r-ch

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 70/80s kalkhoff road bike as a project more for learning than anything else. The rear wheel axle from the original wheel seems to be slightly smaller than a standard modern axle, is this normal? I've tried two different shimano hub wheels with quick release axles and they won't slide in. The issue is, the wheel I'm working with has a sealed axle so I can't actually swap it out for the original axle I don't think. I can't use the wheel pictured below as the chainline is way off with the single-speed freewheel and requires the shimano type that allows for spacers. Any advice is appreciated! I've attached a photo just for reference (this is the original axle), yes I'm aware it's sticking out too far.. this was just for testing purposes.

b94f1f16-c833-435a-a159-debcc9956c1d.jpeg.jpg

9mm, 10mm. 11mm and now through axles.
all exist and can result in problems if you have the wrong one.
I suspect you have a 9mm axle.

unsure what you mean by sealled axle, but guessing you mean solid axle.

many bikes have had filled drop outs over the years to fit 10mm axles.

9mm, 10mm. 11mm and now through axles.
all exist and can result in problems if you have the wrong one.
I suspect you have a 9mm axle.

unsure what you mean by sealled axle, but guessing you mean solid axle.

many bikes have had filled drop outs over the years to fit 10mm axles.
many thanks for your response. Looks like I may need to get the file out!

Also there is the variation in length, could be 130mm, 135mm, 142mm depending but not limited to the type/speed of cassette the frame was designed for

I'm not sure what you mean, but an axle with nuts like in the photo is a smaller diameter than a hollow axle for a skewer. So if it was originally designed for nutted wheels, trying to fit a QR wheel might not work

Back