Proof that new bike technology is rubbish. Disk brakes.

tintin40":34t47sob said:
02gf74":34t47sob said:
So what happened? Cant view vid on mob bev.

it smokes and burns. I never seen the point in this brake. Just the sales man telling you you need this. V brakes are perfect. Motor vehicles need disc as heavier and faster.

And if you put the same amount of energy to a rim the inner tube would have melted, i doubt what is being shown in that video relates to any real life mtbing situation.

02gf74":h2g0eu8r said:
tintin40":h2g0eu8r said:
02gf74":h2g0eu8r said:
So what happened? Cant view vid on mob bev.

it smokes and burns. I never seen the point in this brake. Just the sales man telling you you need this. V brakes are perfect. Motor vehicles need disc as heavier and faster.

And if you put the same amount of energy to a rim the inner tube would have melted, i doubt what is being shown in that video relates to any real life mtbing situation.

True. My view on brakes stays the same.

Re:

"Fake news!". I know it's possible to out smoke your mates out on the trail but how often do you encounter the scenario of burning up on re-entry as you're braking at the end of particularly long and gnarly descent?

tintin40":1j571nrl said:

Have you actually ridden a bike fitted with hydraulic disc brakes for any length of time in different weather conditions and over varied terrains? Tell the truth now ;)

02gf74":afq6rma7 said:
tintin40":afq6rma7 said:

Have you actually ridden a bike fitted with hydraulic disc brakes for any length of time in different weather conditions and over varied terrains? Tell the truth now ;)

of course i have. And the wet & mud disc are good. But in the dry they are ott. But then I'm not a head case down hill nutter. like many on this site that I've watched on meets. Next year the sales man will think of anther product you can't ride with out. Don't forget cycling fitness is more important that the bike. it all about the rider

Im not sure that test can be described as accurate :? Switch on lathe, pull brake. Lathe is likely 10HP so no brake is going to stop that. Plus the weight/resistance of the chuck itself.
Switch off the power and the brake would slow and stop the machine. Clear its not switched off so its just an excersise in destroying a disc brake by turning it red hot.

Its a bit of fun is what it is.

Many a RB ride has been accompanied by the whiff of hot pad on rim action - and some bicycle riding too!

Back