Project: Replica of my first MTB in 1991

Owen":3a01f3ct said:
That's awesome!!!

I've been thinking about doing this myself (re-creating my first mtb), but I can't for the life of me remember the model name. It was a Diamond Back too, it was grey with white and pink splatters and the old thin lower Marzocchis.. :?

Anyway.. that is awesome! Well done for having a better memory than me! :LOL:

I think it may have been a 1992 Response. The catalogue showed it in that colour but it also came in a hot yellow - I had the yellow version.

This was my first MTB so this thread brings back some memories for me also.

my first real mtb was a topanga
i'd have another one ,great bike for what it was

that looks really cool btw ,like it a lot

Nice one Ed. Great to see your first love being recreated. Not a bad riding frame either. I found a Topanga in a skip about 12 years ago and it has been my winter work/ pub hack ever since. You might remember it ( now known as Frankenshite).
Building up bikes like this are so satisfying. No matter what they are I think it's such good fun and as the build progresses you get that same buzz you had all those years ago. I really is like turning back the clock!

Our first bikes might not be the best in terms of quality but they are the bikes that gave us the bug, and for that reason they are the best bikes in the world.
I might join you on your rediscovery ride with my old 86 Cannondale.

very cool and love that you came in on budget :cool:

velo rates his topangobongo ver much and it is pleasing to mine eye :cool:

Missed this first time round.

Love the backstory. Not sh1t at all, really like the 'autehntic' build :D

Sweet ride, I am betting most of us had a bitsa like this BITD, negotiating to get my old Raleigh peak K2 back at the mo..

Love the bright pink too very distinctive :D

Did you ever use the gym when you were at Lancaster Uni?
I trained there 3 times per week with Lancaster Powerlifting Club from 1986 to 2002.

Latest posts

Back