Problem With Purchase From A Retrobiker :-(

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A couple of things I would like to say about this thread :

• I don’t want it turning sh1ty so I will NOT be naming the seller.
• If you know who the seller is, PLEASE keep quite.
• I am not after slagging the seller off - I just don’t know if I have been treated fairly and I am looking for advice / comments / other people’s thoughts before I decide how to proceed.

I will do a abbreviated version of events but as this can often be construed to be biased / one sided, for those who are interested I will also include all the pm correspondence.

The abbreviated version :

• Spotted something I wanted in a for sale add.
• Known seller with good feedback (I have also used them before with no problems).
• Initially the advert had no price – I opened pm communications.
• Both add and pm described the item as fitted / removed / unused / as new.
• Advert contained a picture – from one side only
• Item bought and paid for (£35) – paypal gift :?
• Item received in undamaged packaging (I have photos to prove)
• Item was loose inside the unopened / undamaged jiffy bag i.e. the only protection was the jiffy bag.
• Item has damage on the side that was not shown on advert.
• Seller contacted.
• Best offer – return item and get a £25 refund.

I am a bit hacked off to be honest as I wouldn’t have knowingly bought this item in this condition and although this item is for a bike I will build for the girlfriend, I am not happy with it and won’t be using it :-(

Below is the full version and all un-edited pm’s (If it does turn sh1ty I am quite happy to give a mod full access to my account so they can read through for themselves and see none of the facts / original text have been altered in anyway).

For obvious reasons I have not included the original for sale advert, the original photo from the advert or the photos of the packaging and item I have taken upon arrival and sent to the seller for their comments.

I have also changed every reference to the item from its correct name to ‘ring’ and the sellers name and user name to ‘Ferodo’ ;-)

Note that I can't quote myself so my pm's are copied / pasted / smileys corrected and I have only started the story from the notification of a problem :

------------------------------

Hi,

I received the seat thanks :D not sure I am happy with it though :-(

There is some damage to **********************. The packaging is undamaged (I have saved it) but I can't tell from the for sale photos if it was on before ?

Let me know if you want any pics and how we can sort this :D

Cheers,

Peter :D

Ferodo":2w2qwcwt said:
Hi mate glade you got the ring ok there was no damage at all to the ring its just been on a shelf in my office. i was going to build a Dave Yate full sus frame i his rainbow colours and use the ring for that but never used it :cry:

Railmail :? you do your best matey ;)

Hi,

How do we go on about a claim against RM ? Do you do it or me ? Do you have a proof of postage ? I think that covers us for upto £36

Cheers,

I think Bilbo Bagins has a resit for the postage what would you need ive never made any claim before

What do you need mate? :cool:

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I don’t really know how to claim for damage – only to claim for missing stuff :?

Missing stuff is claimed for by the sender, with the proof of postage and proof of purchase price. I had to claim once and RM accepted the for sale add which I just took a screen shot off the forum. I think they gave me back full selling cost and cost of postage.

I don’t feel easy doing it as the product isn’t lost but if we cant claim for damage, what other option do we have ? i.e. I am not happy with the ring damage and you wont be happy taking it back / refunding if it wasn’t like that when you sent it :-(

When they refund we will just have to come to some agreement between ourselves.

Please could you approach your post office and start proceedings ? I seem to recall there being a period of time you had to wait for so I don’t think anything will happen for a while :-(

Let me know :D

Cheers,

im not 100% my self on the paper i have there are lots of items on it so it would be very hard to claim down my post office, im not happy about this at all with Royilmail

Im in the same bout as you and dont have much time to get down there as im a driver :?

Hi,

I have read that a few times, does that mean I am not going to get any help / assistance ? :?

Cheers,

The best way is to show me some pics of the ring of this damage Royalmail has done

And i can see, But im not able to get down there The recept has 15 items on it and there is no telling what it cost to post to you so the is no proof as in cost of the item

If you want a refund i need to see the damage as i sent it undamaged and think its not right to give a full refund for there damage ;)

please get back to me

Thanks dude :cool:

I am not after a full refund from you and either keeping or returning the ring - hence why we should claim against RM - it's their fault :-(

I will get some pictures tommorrow night and send them on :D

Cheers,

Here you go :-(

Undamaged packaging (I have hidden my address as its in my public photobucket storage) :

PICTURES

What do you think ? :-(

Cheers,

Yes mate you can see it been pressed and damaged in the parcel :? there must have been some wait on the parcel matey

It was so nice when it went out to you it was sitting on my self it was that nice ;)

Your wife not wanting to use it ?

Im not 100% for lieing down the post office , And dont know how to claim as ive never done it before, The best i could do is give you a refund of £25 and for you to send it back to me as that seat was in much better condition then that went it went out to you :cry:

So, what do you think ? What would you do ? How would you proceed ?

All ‘constructive’ comments appreciated.

WD :D

If it is a seat it may have been inadequately damaged if it was a chainring I can't see how it could be damaged with a heavy weight on it - unless it was bent.

In my eyes you should return it for full refund but pay for return postage (tracked) although I'd still be pissed at that.

did you change the name on the quote boxes?

I couldn't see the pics - no link apparent.

Hi,

Thanks for your input :D

Yes, I changed the names and removed the pictures as I don’t want to cause a problem :D

Just looking for opinions at this moment in time so I can decide how to proceed :-(

WD :D

If I'd sold it to you I'd have just offered a refund and asked you to send it back, or offer a tenner refund if you wanted to keep it.

I think you are right though, if goods are damaged it is up to the sender to claim.

When I'm buying any items here or elsewhere ,, I generally make sure I get enough photos of the item so to ensure I'm happy with the condition it is being sold..

Condition is very subjective , having not seen the item in question , its hard to say if the damage should have been pointed out/mentioned.. some peoples minty is different to anothers.. but how far do you go... for eg.. I have a rear mech , that to me is minty, however there is one tiny mark ,, and I mean tiny , some people would mention this , some would not.. .

Saying this ,, you say the seller described the item as 'Both add and pm described the item as fitted / removed / unused / as new.'

The 'as new' part answers the question for me.. if there is marks on it ,, clearly its not as new is it..

If the item was packaged correctly , and the items outer shipping material is undamaged and the item within, is package correctly , to me it points out that the item was damaged prior to sending and at the time of sale ... ... ?

As regard a refund,,, I would have thought the seller would have offered a full refund and offer to cover the return costs..

Life lesson bud. £35, £25, £10 down? I've had run ins with members that haven't floated my boat and guess what... I wouldn't buy from them or sell to them now. Not everyones honest, responsible or value that community spirit. If i remember right we had an hour phone call when we did business (get it finished by the way). If it where me i'd go out my way to ensure that whatever issue is resolved but not everyones like that or they've different priorities. One for the sh~tbox mate and its what feedbacks for i guess.

thats a tough , but i would hope other forum users would be honest enough to treat each other fairly and honest

Regular forum users should respect what sort of folk are on here and treat them fairly. If you bought from me and the circumstances are as you say, you'd have refund or at least partial discount.

Use the guy's feedback ...................or flip the item and stick it on ebay for £45BIN :p

Its all luck of the draw remember - there is at least one "Gold Trader" on here I wouldn't touch again.

Have to admit I've been caught out a couple of times lately where the item I have bought has been 'as described' but it's what has been 'left out' of said description and I have subsequently discovered that's been the sickener... :?

In your case it sounds like the damage was deliberately obscured in the photo and omitted from the description - if the packaging is undamaged then it was like that before it went in...

I'd just highlight it in the Feedback thread and put it down to experience - unpleasant as it may be :(

If I was the seller and the buyer was a member I'd bought/sold from in the past with no worries I'd give a full refund on return of the item. I might question it if the buyer was new or someone I did not know but in the end I'd probably just refund the dosh.

Latest posts

Back